Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a quick video on installing a catch can for the hybrid tucson. Based on visually inspecting the intake manifold and my discussions with the Hyundai service department I have confirmed that the 1.6L Turbo hybrid engine is a Direct Injection setup only. Meaning, no multiport injection setup.

The video I made explains a little about how to set it up and why it's a big deal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Made a quick video on installing a catch can for the hybrid tucson. Based on visually inspecting the intake manifold and my discussions with the Hyundai service department I have confirmed that the 1.6L Turbo hybrid engine is a Direct Injection setup only. Meaning, no multiport injection setup.

The video I made explains a little about how to set it up and why it's a big deal.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I am thinking of buying the Tucson Hybrid and put a deposit down, but the more I learn on this forum, the more I want to hold off on purchasing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank R. Could you give an update? How much oil you catch?
There is a problem with your installation. According to the video for k5 with the same engine the port you connect to your can is actually a ccv port not pcv. In ccv port is not much oil ( in that video nothing in two weeks) however in pcv they quickly collect oil (next day or so). Did you try to connect can to pcv port ( or both ccv and pcv)?

·
Registered
2022 Hybrid SEL-C deep sea blue, black interior
5 Posts
Thanks for the video and How-to. Do you have any recommendations on which catch can kits and how important are the special hoses? Are Brass filters matter or can I get away with the cheaper sub $100 kits?

Much obliged. Happy New Year.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks for the video i did mine the day i picked it up my new tucson phev and yes u are 100% right i had 2 vw diesel and did both never had an issue infact the dealer was so impressed he showed his mechanics my setup and it works

·
Registered
11 Posts
Car Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

Motor vehicle Hood Car Vehicle Automotive design

Installed a cheap catch can today based on the YT guide (big thanks to OP!). It was super easy. It's slightly tilted, but it was for better accessibility and didn't have to drill a hole anywhere or get a custom bracket. Just took out a lugnut from the engine where you see it, and installed the bracket there (had to drill the bracket to get a bigger hole).

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 795
View attachment 796

Installed a cheap catch can today based on the YT guide (big thanks to OP!). It was super easy. It's slightly tilted, but it was for better accessibility and didn't have to drill a hole anywhere or get a custom bracket. Just took out a lugnut from the engine where you see it, and installed the bracket there (had to drill the bracket to get a bigger hole).
Hi, what is the outer / inner diameter of the hose that you chose? How many feet did you have to use?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also used 2 existing clamps from the hose I removed in the engine. And my kit came with 2 extra ones so I didn't have to get any extra.

You'll also notice that depending on which kit you buy, the fitting hose have different diameters - but you can buy one that has the same thread diameter as your catch can and also fits the 3/8 hose.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Hybrid is two weeks old, and this looks like something worth doing. Is there a recommended can (or kit)?
How many of you Tuscon owners have put one in?
Will these void the warranty?
do it don't wait it's worth it and will save the turbo i had mine done right at the dealership before i took delivery i bought the catch can on amazon and took to dealer mechanic recommended it to me -- no prob with warranty very pleased

·
Registered
81 Posts
Made a quick video on installing a catch can for the hybrid tucson. ................
Clean, clear vid, thanks. Another car forum I frequent (an 'American' maker) relates catch cans to the same valve oil crusting on direct inject design, and interested finding the issue still insufficiently mitigated in even the brand new engine designs. Interesting that the engine discussed on that forum is also turboed, which understandably puts added load on lubrication. But I will be investigating the applicability for installing in my wife's brand new 2.5 Natural Aspirated ICE right from the get-go.

The protections of the 'Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act' notwithstanding, one point of research will be documenting this mod as even remotely a potential for having to put up with either dealers' or the manufacturer's yammering about 'voiding the warranty'. The one poster's tack of having the dealer install 'customer-furnished parts' is a rather effective counter, though it's pretty much against my religion to let anyone else touch my cars for any reason.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts