Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have to charge my 2022 Tucson PHEV outdoors using an extension cord. In case this information might be of use to somebody else, this is the system I came up with.

You can use the charger outside in any weather. It is rated at IP67, which means it is: 6 - "Protected from total dust ingress" and 7 - "Protected from immersion between 15 centimetres and 1 metre in depth ".

If your electrical circuit can handle the load, crank the charger all the way up to its 12-amp maximum charging rate.

Breaker Panel: I installed a combination AFCI/GFCI breaker. This is optional but I would recommend it if possible.

Outlet: If you don't have a GFCI or AFCI/GFCI breaker then the outlet must be a GFCI or AFCI/GFCI receptacle. If you do have a protective breaker then the outlet should be a heavy duty non-GFCI receptacle.

Cover (see pictures): Jumbo Weatherproof In-Use Cover

Extension Cord: Special 12/3 (12 gauge, 3-conductor) extension cord rated to stay flexible down to minus 58 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut to length.

Waterproof Receptacle: Installed on cut end of extension cord. Did not install cap.

Waterproof Plug: I cut the plug off of the charger cord and replaced it with this waterproof plug. I freaked out when I saw that there were four conductors in the charger cord, but research and experience has shown that the 4th conductor doesn't do anything.

Notes: Be sure to maintain proper polarity when installing the waterproof plug and receptacle. I may wrap the connectors in self-amalgamating tape, mostly to hide the yellow but this will also add a little bit more waterproofing.

Cable Hanger & Dock Holster (see pictures): I like this design because the holster is at an angle and the charger plug doesn't stick out as much.

Neoprene Bumpers (see pictures): I wrapped the ends of the charger with 1-inch neoprene strips held in place with self-amalgamating tape. This is to protect the charger from getting scuffed on the concrete.

Plant Flowerpot Houseplant Wood Terrestrial plant

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Wood Garden hose

Road surface Asphalt Gas Automotive tire Technology

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have to charge my 2022 Tucson PHEV outdoors using an extension cord. In case this information might be of use to somebody else, this is the system I came up with.

You can use the charger outside in any weather. It is rated at IP67, which means it is: 6 - "Protected from total dust ingress" and 7 - "Protected from immersion between 15 centimetres and 1 metre in depth ".

If your electrical circuit can handle the load, crank the charger all the way up to its 12-amp maximum charging rate.

Breaker Panel: I installed a combination AFCI/GFCI breaker. This is optional but I would recommend it if possible.

Outlet: If you don't have a GFCI or AFCI/GFCI breaker then the outlet must be a GFCI receptacle. If you do have a protective breaker then the outlet should be a heavy duty non-GFCI receptacle.

Cover (see pictures): Jumbo Weatherproof In-Use Cover

Extension Cord: Special 12/3 (12 gauge, 3-conductor) extension cord rated to stay flexible down to minus 58 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut to length.

Waterproof Receptacle: Installed on cut end of extension cord. Did not install cap.

Waterproof Plug: I cut the plug off of the charger cord and replaced it with this waterproof plug. I freaked out when I saw that there were four conductors in the charger cord, but research and experience has shown that the 4th conductor doesn't do anything.

Notes: Be sure to maintain proper polarity when installing the waterproof plug and receptacle. I may wrap the connectors in self-amalgamating tape, mostly to hide the yellow but this will also add a little bit more waterproofing.

Cable Hanger & Dock Holster (see pictures): I like this design because the holster is at an angle and the charger plug doesn't stick out as much.

Neoprene Bumpers (see pictures): I wrapped the ends of the charger with 1-inch neoprene strips held in place with self-amalgamating tape. This is to protect the charger from getting scuffed on the concrete.

View attachment 1201

View attachment 1202

View attachment 1203
Excellent job 👏. thanks

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Captain,
I don't have AFCI/GFCI breaker installed in the breaker panel, I think it's just a standard typical breaker (see photo below). Can I just install an AFCI/GFCI Dual Function Receptacle?
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/le...d=PS_GO_140203__ALL_PLA-526641&pid=1001514657

View attachment 1205
I'm not an electrician, but I think it would be fine as long as there is a ground wire and the Test button functions as required. (I wasn't even aware that AFCI/GFCI receptacles were available. I'll update the OP. Thanks!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts