Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2022 Tucson PHEV Luxury -Titan Grey
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I would like to ask other PHEV owners about their estimated fuel range and actual consumtion.

By the book, the car should consume (ICE only) 6.7 L/ 100 Km. In real life so far, mine got in average (highway) 8.1 L/ 100 km. It's true that I mostly drive city and I go electric only, but a few longer trips got me between 7 L and 9.4 L / 100 Km. The 7 liter figure I got driving painfully careful (hypermiling). Now, true to be told, not sure if the engine is still broken in properly ( I think I only drove less than 2000 Km using ICE). I am wondering if I will ever get to the promissed 6.7 from current 8.1.

Another point: estimated range. When I check the estimated range after filling in the tank, I get about 500 Km. For a tank of 42 liters, that means a fuel consumption of 8.4 L/ 100 Km. Again, the sticker says 6.7. So even if the engine is not broken in, why the estimated range should not coincide with what the maufacturer advertises? How does the car know if the engine is brokren in or what exactly it will consume? In my mind, it should show about 626 Km of range (based on 6.7 ideal fuel economy), then change the figure as I drive.

3rd thing: any way to check how many Km were driven using ICE? Is there any log in the car or BlueLink app? I wouldlike to ask because the oil change should be based on that and not on the actual milage of the car. Electric diven Km should not count.

Thanks in advance for any imput.

· Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
309 Posts
I've asked about ICE miles on the forums, and there isn't any way to get that information. It could actually be a misleading figure, since the ICE runs at idle speed for cabin heat when needed without sending power to the wheels. A more meaningful figure would probably be hours of operation.

Strangely, BlueLink adjusts the recommended oil change mileage, but neither the dealer nor (typically useless) HyundaiUSA could tell me why and how. I'm assuming the extended oil change interval reflects EV driving. In the States we get four "free" oil changes, at 8K mile intervals, in the first three years/36,000 miles so it will probably be simpler and cheaper to stay with that interval for those first 3 years. Going too long between oil changes, even with EV driving, might blow up the warranty.

Having a Prius for 8 years broke me of obsessing over mileage. The mileage will be what it will be. I'm just enjoying my Tucson, driving around with a big grin. On road trips, in HEV mode, the Tucson's mileage is roughly what I would expect.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've asked about ICE miles on the forums, and there isn't any way to get that information. It could actually be a misleading figure, since the ICE runs at idle speed for cabin heat when needed without sending power to the wheels. A more meaningful figure would probably be hours of operation.

Strangely, BlueLink adjusts the recommended oil change mileage, but neither the dealer nor (typically useless) HyundaiUSA could tell me why and how. I'm assuming the extended oil change interval reflects EV driving. In the States we get four "free" oil changes, at 8K mile intervals, in the first three years/36,000 miles so it will probably be simpler and cheaper to stay with that interval for those first 3 years. Going too long between oil changes, even with EV driving, might blow up the warranty.

Having a Prius for 8 years broke me of obsessing over mileage. The mileage will be what it will be. I'm just enjoying my Tucson, driving around with a big grin. On road trips, in HEV mode, the Tucson's mileage is roughly what I would expect.
Hi Captain,

Thanks for replying.

My BlueLink does not adjust at all the service interval. In Canada we need to change oil at 8000 Km (5000 miles) - looks like Hyunday has an obsession with the number 8000 - it doesn't matter if km or miles. 😄

Good point regarding the iddle run for cabin heating. But related to this - I've just started using it and the range estimate decreases dramatically (100 km in maybe 40 minutes driving). I think I'm better off just going HEV (it also warms up the engine faster).

As you, I do enjoy my car, but I would have liked to compare the highway consumption with other owners. I didn't see any PHEV ownerrs posting this info.

Cheers!

· Registered
309 Posts
Hi Captain,

Thanks for replying.

My BlueLink does not adjust at all the service interval. In Canada we need to change oil at 8000 Km (5000 miles) - looks like Hyunday has an obsession with the number 8000 - it doesn't matter if km or miles. 😄

Good point regarding the iddle run for cabin heating. But related to this - I've just started using it and the range estimate decreases dramatically (100 km in maybe 40 minutes driving). I think I'm better off just going HEV (it also warms up the engine faster).

As you, I do enjoy my car, but I would have liked to compare the highway consumption with other owners. I didn't see any PHEV ownerrs posting this info.

Cheers!
On highway road trips, in HEV mode, I get around 6.9 L/100 km (34 MPG). I've got 4800 miles on the car. I use HDA quite a bit on highways outside of cities.

BlueLink is totally weird. On the web it is showing a service interval of 9,100 miles. The (Android) app isn't able to show the service timeline, but says that "based on your driving habits and conditions) the recommended service interval is 3,750 miles.

In the U.S. the recommended oil change interval under severe conditions is 8000 km. Is there something different about the weather in Canada?

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On highway road trips, in HEV mode, I get around 6.9 L/100 km (34 MPG). I've got 4800 miles on the car. I use HDA quite a bit on highways outside of cities.

BlueLink is totally weird. On the web it is showing a service interval of 9,100 miles. The (Android) app isn't able to show the service timeline, but says that "based on your driving habits and conditions) the recommended service interval is 3,750 miles.

In the U.S. the recommended oil change interval under severe conditions is 8000 km. Is there something different about the weather in Canada?
6.9 would be amazing (very close to advertised). I will wait for the engine to brake in. I didn't even have my first oil cahnge yet. I'll see next summer (winter here is tough).
Maybe the cold winters are considered "severe conditions", though it's not extremely cold for long periods of time. Whatever - I will chage the oil every 10000 km, hoping it won't void warranty.

BlueLink shows the same for service interval (no matter if online or through the Android app):
Rectangle Font Parallel Brand Logo

By the way, on the Android app you have to go under "Service schedule", but maybe the app is different for Canada and USA.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Luxury PHEV, Amazon Gray
79 Posts
I have a PHEV 2022 Luxury. As Captain says I am over the obsessing about mileage, although when I first got the car in Nov 2021, I was very curious about mileage. I have about 35,000 km on it now and the average is about 5.4 l/100 km. I do virtually all my city driving on electric (well in the summer), but also I drive a lot in areas of Eastern Ont where there are no charging stations, hence my choice of a PHEV over a BEV. When driving on HEV, my mileage is about 6.9l - 7.5L/100 km, when on 401 I travel at 120 km/hr and other county/township roads 100 km/hr. I have done 3 oil changes and one more coming up in a few thousand km.

· Registered
54 Posts

At what speed is that HEV mileage, and just to confirm, that includes no BEV effect, right?

· Registered
79 Posts
At what speed is that HEV mileage, and just to confirm, that includes no BEV effect, right?
. The car is a hybrid, so I don't think you'll get any all ICE mileage, at least on Canadian models. The car switches to electric in HEV mode, or when in Auto mode when coasting or reducing speed going into small towns, etc. so there will always be some electric in there

· Registered
54 Posts
. The car is a hybrid, so I don't think you'll get any all ICE mileage, at least on Canadian models. The car switches to electric in HEV mode, or when in Auto mode when coasting or reducing speed going into small towns, etc. so there will always be some electric in there
I'm not looking for ICE mileage - just HEV mileage, but after the plug-in range of the battery is depleted.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a PHEV 2022 Luxury. As Captain says I am over the obsessing about mileage, although when I first got the car in Nov 2021, I was very curious about mileage. I have about 35,000 km on it now and the average is about 5.4 l/100 km. I do virtually all my city driving on electric (well in the summer), but also I drive a lot in areas of Eastern Ont where there are no charging stations, hence my choice of a PHEV over a BEV. When driving on HEV, my mileage is about 6.9l - 7.5L/100 km, when on 401 I travel at 120 km/hr and other county/township roads 100 km/hr. I have done 3 oil changes and one more coming up in a few thousand km.
Thanks for replying.

So far, in 6000 km I have, the average is 3.2. But again, I am only driving electric. In HEV only, I drove twice from Montreal to Ottawa and once from Montreal to Toronto. (And back). I would say the average was 8.1 - 8.4 @ 115 km/ hour.

If by next year/ summer (after 1st oil change and more km) I get around 7 - 7.5 l/ 100 km, I will consider myself happy.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not looking for ICE mileage - just HEV mileage, but after the plug-in range of the battery is depleted.
I agree: you cannot get ICE only, but HEV could be considered "gas only" in this case.

Again, the sticker on the car said "gas only = 6.7 l/ 100 km). So what I undertand is that if you're not using EV mode, you should get that figure.

If you drive electric (EV) until you deplete the battery, you would get excellnt results, but that shouldn't be considered gas only. Not even Hybrid.

What I am talking about is start the car, put it in HEV mode, then take the highway. ) Ilive right off the highway anuway.

· Registered
309 Posts
Probably averaging around 70 MPH, often with HDA. That is in HEV mode, sometimes with the battery run down and sometimes selecting Hybrid Mode to have the battery available at the destination.

· Registered
309 Posts
Don't focus too much on the "sticker" mileage figures. They are measured "driving" a standardized "route" on a dynamometer (i.e. no wind resistance). Those figures are intended to be standardized measurements used to compare vehicles, not necessarily to predict real-world mileage with any significant precision.

· Registered
79 Posts
I agree: you cannot get ICE only, but HEV could be considered "gas only" in this case.

Again, the sticker on the car said "gas only = 6.7 l/ 100 km). So what I undertand is that if you're not using EV mode, you should get that figure.

If you drive electric (EV) until you deplete the battery, you would get excellnt results, but that shouldn't be considered gas only. Not even Hybrid.

What I am talking about is start the car, put it in HEV mode, then take the highway. ) Ilive right off the highway anuway.
I think I read somewhere that in HEV, even after you run it down to when electric is depleted, the car always retains about 15% battery charge.

· Registered
309 Posts
I think I read somewhere that in HEV, even after you run it down to when electric is depleted, the car always retains about 15% battery charge.
Correct. At that point the car is fully in HEV mode. If necessary, the engine will run as a generator to bring the battery back up to (approximately) 15%. Just like a regular Hybrid, driving conditions and battery charge will occasionally let the car go into EV mode for a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts