Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
101 - 120 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
After much chasing in person with my dealer a few days ago, they showed me a list of models for estimated deliveries in a printed chart.

Tucson HEV and PHEV are expected to have Q3 2022 deliveries, while Gas version is 8 to 12 weeks or did i see Q2 2022

However, for some strange reason, Santa Fe HEV is now 8 to 12 weeks.

My sales guy said if I want it sooner, pick Santa Fe HEV......so I test drove it, but I don't like it, its big and heavy.

I am not sure how Hyundai plan their production, but having to wait for another 6 to 9 months is too long, by the time, I hope they will be delivering 2023 models for your orders

Adding to the recent BC flooding, for sure the delivery for more recent upcoming shipments will be affected.

If you are willing to pay 5K markup at a dealer who have stock, last week I check, they have 2 HEV Tucson in stock.

Therefore, I am going to cancel my order as it is going to take too long and decided to go with a Tiguan which they can commit a late Jan delivery on the model I wanted from their allocation.

Even Audi can offer late Jan deliveries for Q3, as long as I am flexible with packages, and of course, pricing too.

This Tucson is a great car, but with all these ordering delays, and I needed an additional car, the wait it too long and doesn't make sense for me.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson HEV Ultimate; White/Grey
114 Posts
This Tucson is a great car, but with all these ordering delays, and I needed an additional car, the wait it too long and doesn't make sense for me.
Here's a thought ... if you really like the Tucson HEV/PHEV, can you just buy a used "beater" like an older Subaru Impreza or Crosstrek (put decent winter tires on it), to use in the interim? The money you'd save compared to an equivalently-optioned Audi, even a Tiguan (which has less space), would likely justify it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, no i am not going to bother to shop for a used car and then trade it in or sell it when the Tucson is ready.

Too much trouble and I don't have the time to do the shopping around for a new car already, let along for a used one.

2022 Tiguan is not bad, very roomy for me at least...yeah gas consumption sucks, but since I am leasing it, i am probably not going to keep it after 4 years, and same for the Tucson anyways

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's my understanding that the HEV is also built in Alabama, so that might help with the delivery issues if the numbers go up there 🤷‍♀️
Actually No - I read that all HEV/PHEV models for the N. American market are being built in Korea.

I can also verify my HEV was built in Korea.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was looking at VW too and they have a 6 month wait for the Jetta (not what I was looking for). Each company seems to be focusing on specific vehicles to build in this micro chip shortage... it's a different time now and it will involve some waiting depending on what someone wants to buy.

VW is great and I'm sure you'll love driving it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in Ottawa. Placed a pre-order for the PHEV Limited in August. Received notification in mid-Oct that it was in production and expected to be built in October and was number 223 in the sequence. As of mid-Nov, I do not yet have the VIN and so don't have a delivery date. I'm hoping that delivery will occur before the end of 2021. Maybe we'll get the car in time for Christmas if we are lucky, but certainly, delivery from western to eastern Canada may be significantly affected by the flooding in BC.

One comment I received from the dealer was that if we back out of the sale after it is delivered, the dealer is charged a fee and the vehicle goes back to Hyundai for delivery to the next person in the cue. So dealers have an incentive to make sure you don't back out of the sale. They don't get to keep the car and sell it to someone off the street.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm in Ottawa. Placed a pre-order for the PHEV Limited in August. Received notification in mid-Oct that it was in production and expected to be built in October and was number 223 in the sequence. As of mid-Nov, I do not yet have the VIN and so don't have a delivery date. I'm hoping that delivery will occur before the end of 2021. Maybe we'll get the car in time for Christmas if we are lucky, but certainly, delivery from western to eastern Canada may be significantly affected by the flooding in BC.

One comment I received from the dealer was that if we back out of the sale after it is delivered, the dealer is charged a fee and the vehicle goes back to Hyundai for delivery to the next person in the cue. So dealers have an incentive to make sure you don't back out of the sale. They don't get to keep the car and sell it to someone off the street.
Welcome! I'm in Ottawa also 🙂
Did you mean luxury?

·
Registered
114 Posts

Interesting! If I were you, I'd push the dealer hard for a VIN, ASAP. Once that happens, you'll have better trackability, plus they'll be less able/inclined to play "games" (like sell your car to someone else for more profit). As soon as I got it, I told them "Thanks - my insurance company was asking for this." That way, they'd have to account for any VIN changes!

As for the dealer being charged a fee if you back out, my quick take is (and not doubting you, just my gut reaction):
  1. dealers lie, A LOT (usually for their own selfish reasons, but occasionally just to seem knowledgeable)
  2. even if true, this may be different for each locale - certainly, many things are different for USA customers vs. Canadian ones (could even vary by province)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Also, as a direct comparison, the wait time for the RAV4 PHEV is 3 years atm.
LOL - yep, the "best" car you CAN'T actually get!!!

Back in May we were told the R4P would be a 2 yr wait so I'm not surprised to hear it's ballooned to 3 yrs. Had there been one to test drive even, we might have sprung for the extra $12K + HST for the difference between the Tucson PHEV and the R4P ... but that wait time, obscene!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Interesting! If I were you, I'd push the dealer hard for a VIN, ASAP. Once that happens, you'll have better trackability, plus they'll be less able/inclined to play "games" (like sell your car to someone else for more profit). As soon as I got it, I told them "Thanks - my insurance company was asking for this." That way, they'd have to account for any VIN changes!

As for the dealer being charged a fee if you back out, my quick take is (and not doubting you, just my gut reaction):
  1. dealers lie, A LOT (usually for their own selfish reasons, but occasionally just to seem knowledgeable)
  2. even if true, this may be different for each locale - certainly, many things are different for USA customers vs. Canadian ones (could even vary by province)
Not sure why they'd lie about that, but I suppose it's possible. Doesn't provide any benefit to them that I can see and it makes sense that the car should go to the next person on the waitlist and not get sold off the lot. It prevents dealers from placing pre-orders just to get stock. I think this is specifically just for the PHEV because it's such high demand. But I won't discount the possibility that they are just BSing. I don't care either way. Just excited to get this car and start commuting on battery only!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tucson designs and features are way superior compared to RAV4, but many have said that Toyota Hybrid technologies are the best compared to other brands in terms of reliability and the fuel consumption is very good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not sure why they'd lie about that, but I suppose it's possible. Doesn't provide any benefit to them that I can see and it makes sense that the car should go to the next person on the waitlist and not get sold off the lot. It prevents dealers from placing pre-orders just to get stock. I think this is specifically just for the PHEV because it's such high demand. But I won't discount the possibility that they are just BSing. I don't care either way. Just excited to get this car and start commuting on battery only!
One reason for them to lie is so they can concoct some cancellation fee, if you should decide to back out - basically providing a disincentive for you to even consider that path.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tucson designs and features are way superior compared to RAV4, but many have said that Toyota Hybrid technologies are the best compared to other brands in terms of reliability and the fuel consumption is very good.
I won't speak to the technology... I test drove both and the drive is much nicer in the Tucson, but that can be subjective. The fuel milage is very similar, and really the Escape is the one that has the best consumption.

Toyota is great, I have always liked them. But in this case I pick the Tucson for various reasons including value for money.

I think the Tucson is under rated and hopefully this will change that. Once there are more on the road of course 😉

101 - 120 of 165 Posts