Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1501 - 1520 of 1563 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dealerships should be taking a scan of the drivers license of who is purchasing the vehicle. It is true that Hyundai assesses a $5000 penalty to the dealership if that dealership chooses to sell a landed vehicle, one that is delivered to the dealership, after a buyer backs out. The ordered vehicle should be returned back to the pool to the next eligible preorder buyer. If the dealership keeps the vehicle the $5000 penalty is always paid by the next customer in the form of a market adjustment or the vehicle mileage is run up to make it a used vehicle which also doesn’t qualify for rebates.

Your dealership has the information they gave you “mostly right” but be observant of whatever they tell you in the future.
My dealership told me that if one of the customers gives up on his car, it would be Hyundai Canada who will offer the car to the next person in line, and not them (that particular dealership).

So not sure how other dealers can re-sell an "abandoned" car/ order to someone of their choice - surcharge or not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dealerships should be taking a scan of the drivers license of who is purchasing the vehicle. It is true that Hyundai assesses a $5000 penalty to the dealership if that dealership chooses to sell a landed vehicle, one that is delivered to the dealership, after a buyer backs out. The ordered vehicle should be returned back to the pool to the next eligible preorder buyer. If the dealership keeps the vehicle the $5000 penalty is always paid by the next customer in the form of a market adjustment or the vehicle mileage is run up to make it a used vehicle which also doesn’t qualify for rebates.

Your dealership has the information they gave you “mostly right” but be observant of whatever they tell you in the future.
I appreciate the details you provided, but I fail to see the material difference vs what I wrote to the point where you would make any ASSumptions about what my dealer said or how much attention I was paying. It was just a passing conversation in response to my asking for clarification as to whether they really needed my wife's information or if mine would suffice.

I am just trying to communicate that what might look like dealerships disadvantaging consumers by charging $5,000 above MSRP is potentially just Hyundai protecting the consumer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My dealership told me that if one of the customers gives up on his car, it would be Hyundai Canada who will offer the car to the next person in line, and not them (that particular dealership).

So not sure how other dealers can re-sell an "abandoned" car/ order to someone of their choice - surcharge or not.
If the vehicle hasn't been built or left the factory it is probably trivial to allocate it to the next person on the waitlist. But I'm guessing that once it is at the dealership it is probably easiest to just let them sell it to someone else.

$5,000 would normally be a pretty good deterrent. But it seems almost insufficient for a PHEV in this market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone got a call from dealership cancelling the order? Our family friend ordered 2 weeks right after I ordered my tucson phev shegot a call saying they have to cancel her order due to allocation from hyundai. She ordered Santa Fe PHEV though, so I’m not sure if it will be the same fate with tucson. Hope not.

·
Registered
2023 Tucson Ultimate PHEV Blue/Grey 🤞
59 Posts
Anyone got a call from dealership cancelling the order? Our family friend ordered 2 weeks right after I ordered my tucson phev shegot a call saying they have to cancel her order due to allocation from hyundai. She ordered Santa Fe PHEV though, so I’m not sure if it will be the same fate with tucson. Hope not.
I got that call a couple weeks ago from one of the dealerships that I put a pre-order in with. They claimed that they were only getting 14 PHEV Tucson's for 2022 and 14 for 2023. I was number 40 something on their list, "I could stay on the list and wait but they didn't advise it".

I checked with the other dealership that I have a deposit in with and a couple other dealerships in the area and none had heard of that allocation limit. However, there are a couple other people on the forum who have heard the allocation limit and a few that have heard absolutely no PHEV's for 2023.

At this point I have no idea what is going on and I doubt that we will until Hyundai Canada makes an official announcement.

·
Registered
27 Posts
hi Mark. May I ask what date and month did your friend order and in what province?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey all,
When you receive updates from Hyundai Canada (or dealership), does it state the interior colour you selected?

Mine just states the exterior paint colour.
when I put deposit down, i chose exterior color then put either dark and light interior color so that when the time comes my selection of colors would not delay it.
however that is when my order actually gets in the system :cry::cry:🤣

·
Registered
14 Posts
Interesting thoughts.

A car manufacturer will prioritize production of more popular vehicles especially if they are more profitable. Currently the Tuscon is an extremely popular vehicle. So Hyundai will will emphasize the US market for ICE vehicles and now hybrids. Note that the Alabama plant will soon produce Tuscon hybrids. PHEV still comes from Ulsan, South Korea.

Canada is only one tenth the market of the US for Tuscon orders

Yes I believe that BC and Quebec will get priority for PHEV and BEV vehicles due to the provincial mandates for green cars. The incentives only help people buy those pricier and more profitable vehicles.

PHEV is the best of both worlds for some customers…me included. Around town on electric and hybrid mileage on road trips without 1 hr stops for recharge. I would have bought an EV6 because it had the 400+ km range to reach one of our favourite vacation destinations on a single charge but the top end model was 20k more than the Santa Fe PHEV I ordered….and that was after provincial and federal rebates. 20k buys a lot of road trip gas.

Overall I think PHEV vehicles are a lower priority for all manufacturers. BEV doesn’t have the manufacturing cost of the ICE engine but it sells for way more. What customers are paying for now is research and development costs for the onslaught of BEV models to come. ICE are well developed and manufacturers are simply changing the packaging design on the candy wrapper.

We are in a transition. BEV charge time and range has and continues to improve.

For now when I see any hybrid, PHEV or BEV I mutter curses at them….until I finally get mine in a year or 5 then I’ll be all like “hey…good to see you….how are you?”

Except for Teslas. I won’t become a Muskovite.
Here are the current provincial EV rebates (incl 5K federal) Note that NB, PEI and Yukon are 10K, second to PQ at 13K. I have checked a few dealers in NB and NS and they all are sayimg that they have been given allocations of minimal (compared to demand) numbers of HEV/PHEV for 2023. I am on a list with a NB dealer for a PHEV but they are not getting any PHEVs for 2023 so I might have a chance for 2024. I was asked if I wanted to change to a HEV but I am sticking to PHEV and was told that I am at the top of the 2024 list if the get any PHEVs. I would have no choice as to colour/ext/int or Luxury/Ultimate. Considering the factors: 1 HEV prodn move to Alabama, 2. Ulsan plant mods to batch prodn of PHEVs, 3 Global supply disruptions due to China lockdown, Ukr war (neon gas supply reqd for lasers in semi plants...interesting..google it!) 4 Impending recession due to Central Bank inflation fight (rising int rates will reduce demand for expensive new vehs) 5 EV rebates in Canada increased in Apr and Hyundai Cda may adjust MSRPs for applicable vehs to gain more profit (why let the customer get all the gravy, right?), 6 New semi plants under construction in US (Samsung) which will eventually help supply chain...also, in general, a move to onshore vital production back from Asia to NAFTA countries = a good chance that mid year there may be a change to the situation. Some ppl will/can not wait 1-2 years for a PHEV; some ppl can not afford the car at the higher price and int rate and will back out; increased Ulsan PHEV production may start soon. How To Get Your Electric Car Rebate in 2022

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here are the current provincial EV rebates (incl 5K federal) Note that NB, PEI and Yukon are 10K, second to PQ at 13K. I have checked a few dealers in NB and NS and they all are sayimg that they have been given allocations of minimal (compared to demand) numbers of HEV/PHEV for 2023. I am on a list with a NB dealer for a PHEV but they are not getting any PHEVs for 2023 so I might have a chance for 2024. I was asked if I wanted to change to a HEV but I am sticking to PHEV and was told that I am at the top of the 2024 list if the get any PHEVs. I would have no choice as to colour/ext/int or Luxury/Ultimate. Considering the factors: 1 HEV prodn move to Alabama, 2. Ulsan plant mods to batch prodn of PHEVs, 3 Global supply disruptions due to China lockdown, Ukr war (neon gas supply reqd for lasers in semi plants...interesting..google it!) 4 Impending recession due to Central Bank inflation fight (rising int rates will reduce demand for expensive new vehs) 5 EV rebates in Canada increased in Apr and Hyundai Cda may adjust MSRPs for applicable vehs to gain more profit (why let the customer get all the gravy, right?), 6 New semi plants under construction in US (Samsung) which will eventually help supply chain...also, in general, a move to onshore vital production back from Asia to NAFTA countries = a good chance that mid year there may be a change to the situation. Some ppl will/can not wait 1-2 years for a PHEV; some ppl can not afford the car at the higher price and int rate and will back out; increased Ulsan PHEV production may start soon. How To Get Your Electric Car Rebate in 2022
Thanks Wick99. Good insight.

I’m sorry that you aren’t told you are top of the list for a MY2023. My dealership in Vancouver has told me less than diddly. The latest “nugget” was …”maybe no news is good news”. They could/did not want to tell me anything; where I am in their internal queue, if they had heard talk of restricted allocations, if Hyundai was putting any PHEV models on the production back burner, new estimate of production dates.

knowing that most new model year pricing information is released in August I’m expecting that will be my next milestone for getting some/no information.

I think interest rate hikes in the US and Canada may cause some waiting buyers to drop out. Let’s hope those are the ones ahead of you in the queue.

The overall effect will, most definitely, mean waiting customers will bump up a few places in the queue but unless there is a significant pocket of cancellations (let’s say 50% of Saskatchewan orders cancel) then I doubt there would be a redistribution of allocation assets.

What will the lessons be for supply chain when this is all over? Doing what is right and what is profitable never share the same sentence.

It’s a complex issue in strange times and I look forward to the CNN documentaries a decade from now. It will be like watching the documentaries on the gas shortages of the 70s and the ensuing small car boom.

·
Registered
18 Posts

I’m sorry that you aren’t told you are top of the list for a MY2023. My dealership in Vancouver has told me less than diddly. The latest “nugget” was …”maybe no news is good news”. They could/did not want to tell me anything; where I am in their internal queue, if they had heard talk of restricted allocations, if Hyundai was putting any PHEV models on the production back burner, new estimate of production dates.

knowing that most new model year pricing information is released in August I’m expecting that will be my next milestone for getting some/no information.

I think interest rate hikes in the US and Canada may cause some waiting buyers to drop out. Let’s hope those are the ones ahead of you in the queue.

The overall effect will, most definitely, mean waiting customers will bump up a few places in the queue but unless there is a significant pocket of cancellations (let’s say 50% of Saskatchewan orders cancel) then I doubt there would be a redistribution of allocation assets.

What will the lessons be for supply chain when this is all over? Doing what is right and what is profitable never share the same sentence.

It’s a complex issue in strange times and I look forward to the CNN documentaries a decade from now. It will be like watching the documentaries on the gas shortages of the 70s and the ensuing small car boom.
Excellent post MM. Entertaining!

·
Registered
14 Posts

Yeah, I'm not sure why the NB dealers (and 1 NS dealer that I emailed) are all telling me the same story: that there are no customer specific orders for 2023 due to demand and that the dealers will be allotted a certain # of vehs in random colours in a mix of HEV or PHEV, Luxury and Ultimate while other provinces are not telling customers that. Could it mean that Hyundai Cda has different approaches for different regions of the country? Dunno. Anyway, with the factors that I laid out, I feel that there may be changes to this if the PHEV production starts to increase in Ulsan once HEV gets moved to Alabama. I understand that all EU HEV/PHEVs are produced in Czechia as they are on the smaller Tucson frame, still. Since my dealer will only get 8 2023 HEVs and no PHEVs, I assume anyone on his list senior to me who wanted a PHEV switched to HEV rather that wait for 2024. That must have moved me to the top of the PHEV list but, if they did get some 2023 PHEVs later in the year due to improved production conditions, the dealer may offer them to the senior customers ahead of me so...I don't know. I can wait. The good thing is that all the initial problems with the veh should be sorted out by 2024.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah, I'm not sure why the NB dealers (and 1 NS dealer that I emailed) are all telling me the same story: that there are no customer specific orders for 2023 due to demand and that the dealers will be allotted a certain # of vehs in random colours in a mix of HEV or PHEV, Luxury and Ultimate while other provinces are not telling customers that. Could it mean that Hyundai Cda has different approaches for different regions of the country? Dunno. Anyway, with the factors that I laid out, I feel that there may be changes to this if the PHEV production starts to increase in Ulsan once HEV gets moved to Alabama. I understand that all EU HEV/PHEVs are produced in Czechia as they are on the smaller Tucson frame, still. Since my dealer will only get 8 2023 HEVs and no PHEVs, I assume anyone on his list senior to me who wanted a PHEV switched to HEV rather that wait for 2024. That must have moved me to the top of the PHEV list but, if they did get some 2023 PHEVs later in the year due to improved production conditions, the dealer may offer them to the senior customers ahead of me so...I don't know. I can wait. The good thing is that all the initial problems with the veh should be sorted out by 2024.
It’s funny how different provinces and different dealers are saying different things. I’m in Quebec and my dealer is saying that Hyundai Canada will allocate each dealer a certain quantity that they are allowed to order each trimester, based on chronological order of their deposit list. This implies they won’t be receiving random cars which I’ve seen mentioned a few times on this forum. I haven’t heard any other information from my dealer.

I’m taking everything with a grain of salt until things become official.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
349 Posts
A pure guess. Some dealers no longer want to deal with special orders and customers calling and upset when cars don't come till well after the date they thought. So those dealers are simply ordering their allotment just like they have for years - based on a mix of what they know most sells etc for their area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A pure guess. Some dealers no longer want to deal with special orders and customers calling and upset when cars don't come till well after the date they thought. So those dealers are simply ordering their allotment just like they have for years - based on a mix of what they know most sells etc for their area.
i think there is some truth in what you say but with caveats. Dealerships want to sell cars. They don’t enjoy the extended wait times and customer anxiety that comes with it. They also don’t want to turn customers away by the “take or leave what’s on our lot” approach. That is bad branding for reputation. Dealerships are in between a rock a hard place. They don’t have inventory on hand or readily available in the pipe. Many dealerships may be waiting for the coming financial windfall when production stabilizes and orders can be delivered.

but there’s a disturbance in the force.

This is for KIA but, as we all know, KIA and Hyundai are, for all intents and purposes, the same company. Reported on Red Flag Deals forum. As of the beginning of May 2022, Kia has stopped taking "sold orders", so you can't order a specific car for a specific person. They did this because the back-order time was taking too long, and they wanted to concentrate on the cars that were already ordered. (Actual sold order placed before May are not cancelled). So if someone places an order today, it basically stays on the shelf until Kia re-opens the sold-order system. It is well documented that KIA and Hyundai are cumulatively a million vehicles back ordered at present.

The VFOS order system is mostly out the window at the moment due to shortages. VFOS is where dealerships can, once a month, order a set number from a manufacturer supplied list of available vehicles with combination restrictions. You can’t order all of one kind but you can order less than the maximum.

Then there is “allocation” where the manufacturers send random vehicles to dealerships. “Here…you are getting 1 Tuscon SEL”. Those aren’t “sold orders” and some dealerships would rather bolt on add-ons for higher profit than offer them at MSRP as alternate choices to those on the waiting list at factory prices. 1 on the hook and 1 in the net = better fishing for the dealership.

So this may shed a sliver of light of truth on the rumours of cancellations we’ve been hearing. A dealership may not have been informed that Hyundai was no longer taking sold orders for a specific vehicle or an eager salesperson did the deal regardless and now had to track back. It’s only one partial bit of a possible explanation. I don’t see a dealership canceling any order as that is akin to turning down business. The only explanation, imho, is that the factory has told the dealership that orders have to be cut because they are bridging too many upcoming model years or the vehicle is in for an upcoming redesign and the factory wants a more accurate order picture based on customers seeing the new design.

Who knows? Rumours and conjecture is all we got and I, more than most, know less than most.

It’s now officially 6 months since I placed my preorder and I still don’t know a thing about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got an update from the Dealer from 6-8 months waiting time from the date (March 2022) I waitlisted for 2023 ultimate Phev they’re now looking at mid to end of 2023 delivery (worst case). I think it is better to set my mind to get that car on winter 2023 now. Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm curious if anyone signed any paperwork or agreement while giving the $500 deposit for preorder because my dealership is telling me there is no paperwork, only receipt and verbal agreement, I'm bit reluctant to just give the $500 deposit without any paperwork. Please share how you guys did it with your dealership? thank you

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm curious if anyone signed any paperwork or agreement while giving the $500 deposit for preorder because my dealership is telling me there is no paperwork, only receipt and verbal agreement, I'm bit reluctant to just give the $500 deposit without any paperwork. Please share how you guys did it with your dealership? thank you
What dealership did you end up choosing? and what did they tell you for estimated delivery time?

I did not get any contract either, I don't believe they exist (in Edmonton at least). I made sure to get the key information (that it was fully refundable and that the vehicle would be charged at MSRP with no markups/mandatory adds) in writing via email or text but that is all that I was able to get.

·
Registered
59 Posts

Anyone read this? It doesn't really say much but still scares me... I may have to get an ICE vehicle if this uncertainty persists :(

1501 - 1520 of 1563 Posts