Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2023 Tucson SEL FWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I recently got my 2023 Tucson and have driven it about 500 miles so far. As this is my first car and I'm aware of Hyundai's reputation, I've tried to stay vigilant about looking into any strange behavior in the engine. There's two things I've found, both really small issues, and might not be issues at all, but I want to ask anyway just to make sure.

The first is that, under the coolant reservoir, I've found some pink spots with some evaporated coolant. I've yet to identify the source of the leak, however. After a long drive, I'll open up the hood and find a small spot or two, but while the car is stationary, I don't actually see any coolant dripping from anywhere. There was some evaporated coolant around the plastic rim. I cleaned that off, and I don't think it's come back yet. I haven't lost any significant amount of coolant, so I don't think it's a leak. My best guess at the moment is that it was a little overfilled at the factory/dealership. But, if it's leaking out the top, I feel like I should still be concerned. Have any of you experienced this?

Pink Petal Red Material property Magenta

The second issue is that I found a mysterious rubber cap sitting behind the engine. I can't find anything that it obviously fits on, nor can I find another component in the car with the same rubber cap. Has anyone seen this part before, or is it something that might be leftover from the factory?

Hood Asphalt Road surface Grey Automotive tire

Thank you for any advice/insight you can provide!

· Registered
310 Posts
If you haven't already, thoroughly clean the 'dried' and what you say are new wet drips. Then you will be able to differentiate the potential 'assembyline overfill' v. any bonafide leaker location(s). Best time to check is obviously after a run after the system has gotten up to full pressure. Check the fill level marks stamped into the tank, and remove some if way over the Full Cool mark. Wipe all connections and fittings in the area above and check close for pot. sources. If it gets persistent tape a piece of paper under the tank for drips to translate back up to the source.
That black thing, you say you found it "sitting behind the engine", which covers a lot of territory back to the taillights [j/k]. It's hard to think it's been resting on the fenderwell or engine cover for 500 miles. So, where exactly you saw it? Which side? Near what? I and others can poke around if we know where we're supposed to be hunting.
And you're right. Either it wasn't properly dropped on the floor after connecting a fitting at the plant, or, it's recently fallen off the end of some unused tube or pipe not needed with the way your car is optioned.

· Registered
2023 Tucson SEL FWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you haven't already, thoroughly clean the 'dried' and what you say are new wet drips. Then you will be able to differentiate the potential 'assembyline overfill' v. any bonafide leaker location(s). Best time to check is obviously after a run after the system has gotten up to full pressure. Check the fill level marks stamped into the tank, and remove some if way over the Full Cool mark. Wipe all connections and fittings in the area above and check close for pot. sources. If it gets persistent tape a piece of paper under the tank for drips to translate back up to the source.
That black thing, you say you found it "sitting behind the engine", which covers a lot of territory back to the taillights [j/k]. It's hard to think it's been resting on the fenderwell or engine cover for 500 miles. So, where exactly you saw it? Which side? Near what? I and others can poke around if we know where we're supposed to be hunting.
And you're right. Either it wasn't properly dropped on the floor after connecting a fitting at the plant, or, it's recently fallen off the end of some unused tube or pipe not needed with the way your car is optioned.
I was out of town in a different car when I made this post, so I'm only just now getting photos of where the cap was sitting.
General Area
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood Rim

Zoomed In (For the photo, I placed it approximately where it was when I found it)
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Plant Wire

· Registered
30 Posts
I've got a similar leak-2022 Hybrid Limited and I'm finding a dime-sized spot of either coolant or trans fliud under the engine area every time I drive the Tuscon. 5900 miles on it-the drips just started a couple of weeks ago at about 5500 miles. Two weeks out was the earliest appointment I could get with the dealer.

· Registered
2023 Tucson SEL FWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Posting an Update for This Issue
I managed to get an appointment and took the Tucson to the dealership. I'm about an hour away from my dealership, so the car got plenty hot on the way, and when I got there the mechanic could smell the coolant. They ran a coolant leak test and said there was no issue. The coolant in the reservoir was rising very high during operation and would leak out of the small air vent on the back of the reservoir, which was considered "normal operation" but still peculiar. I believe the issue was some entrapped air in the engine, and the mechanic assured me that part of the coolant leak testing procedure was burping the engine, in case it wasn't done properly at the factory. They said they see this about 50% of the time with the cars that have this coolant design (new Tucson, Santa Cruz, and Santa Fe). I didn't watch them work, so I can't really verify exactly how burping the engine is a component of the coolant leak test, but I can say after the drive back, the coolant in the reservoir wasn't filling nearly as high as it used to and there wasn't any dripping or coolant smell. I'll still keep an eye on this issue to make sure it's resolved.

Regarding the rubber cap, they said its not a part of the engine, so it's probably a safety cap from the factory that was supposed to be thrown away but just ended up falling into the engine.

· Registered
2023 Tucson SEL FWD
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got a similar leak-2022 Hybrid Limited and I'm finding a dime-sized spot of either coolant or trans fliud under the engine area every time I drive the Tuscon. 5900 miles on it-the drips just started a couple of weeks ago at about 5500 miles. Two weeks out was the earliest appointment I could get with the dealer.
Your issue might be of a slightly different nature than mine. My issue has been present pretty much since I bought the car, I just didn't notice until my first long trip. I'm at 750 miles currently. Also, the hybrid cooling setup is different from the ICE one. The reservoir design is different, and I think there are two coolants used. It's really hard to get an appointment with Hyundai in short notice 😅

1 - 7 of 7 Posts