Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Crazy......the ONLINE manual in the Bluelink app for my vehicle states 91 octane...then I get to reading my PRINTED book manual that came with my vehicle and it states 87 octane! I'LL BE DIPPED!!! So.....Hyundai, let's get your details together and BE CONSISTANT with one of the most important aspects to making the engine run!!
2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL: I'm hoping someone can help with the following statement in the vehicle manual:

This is for the base engine, a naturally aspirated inline 4 cylinder (Smartstream G 2.5 GDI). I was more than surprised to see this... Hyundai dealers are advertising this trim as using regular gasoline, as does fueleconomy.gov. This statement in the manual goes beyond the more typical "premium gasoline is recommended", as it implies premium gasoline is required. I called the dealer who told me premium was recommended only, not required, and they filled the vehicle with regular the day I purchased the vehicle. But the vehicle manual should hold the "truth". My plan is to go ahead and use premium for now - can anyone tell me if this statement is indeed correct? Should I be using premium gasoline? The base Sonata has the same engine with regular gasoline only in vehicle manual, though engine may be tuned differently?
from the online manual:
Unleaded
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an octane
number((R+M)/2) of 87 (Research Octane Number 91) or higher. (Do not use methanol
blended fuels)
Your new vehicle is designed to obtain maximum performance with UNLEADED FUEL,

·
Registered
41 Posts
PROBLEM SOLVED!!
Crazy......the ONLINE manual in the Bluelink app for my vehicle states 91 octane...then I get to reading my PRINTED book manual that came with my vehicle and it states 87 octane! I'LL BE DIPPED!!! So.....Hyundai, let's get your details together and BE CONSISTANT with one of the most important aspects to making the engine run!!
Might be apples (octane number ((R+M)/2 of 87) vs oranges (Research Octane Number 91). The (R+M)/2 is the measure shown on pumps in the US and Canada. 87 is specified in the owners manual for my PHEZ delivered 3 days ago.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson HEV Ultimate; White/Grey
115 Posts
Every other car I’ve had as of late, has had some sticker, or print on the cap, here indicating preferred octane. Nothin, nada, zilch.
Not to argue, but in my experience, only the cars that require higher than normal octane have such stickers (3 Audi's, 3 BMW's and a Turbo Subaru requiring Premium did, whereas my 2008 Infiniti EX35 running on regular gas, did not).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not to argue, but in my experience, only the cars that require higher than normal octane have such stickers (3 Audi's, 3 BMW's and a Turbo Subaru requiring Premium did, whereas my 2008 Infiniti EX35 running on regular gas, did not).
Interesting. You probably have a point. My last 5 cars were not NA and needed the high octane or diesel. 2019 Volvo XC40 T5, 2019 VW GTI, 2015 VW GTI, 2012 VW Jetta TDI, 2010 VW Jetta Wolfsburg w 2.0T.

Interesting that the Tucson Hybrid with the 1.6T would only need 87.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson HEV Ultimate; White/Grey
115 Posts
Interesting that the Tucson Hybrid with the 1.6T would only need 87.
Yes, this was a selling point for me, since in Canada, most retailers charge $0.25 CAD more per litre for 91 octane, which works out to be about $0.73 USD per US gallon!

We had 2 BMWs and both needed premium fuel. We replaced our X1 with this Tucson HEV and couldn’t be happier!

I still have my 6-spd 2016 BMW 340i xDrive which I usually fill up at Costco, where the upcharge for premium is only about $0.10 per litre.

One other turbo engine I know of that’s designed to tolerate 87 octane is the one in the Mazda CX-5.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts