Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out ways to display my love of gas engines, especially in my 2022 Tucson. I'm thinking of a sign or a colored badge of some kind to allow others to know I'm proud to be driving a gasoline powered vehicle. With all the scuttlebutt about ev's, it's about time for we who love our gasoline powered vehicles to show up and talk loud about it.

· Registered
'22 Tucson HEV SEL Convenience
28 Posts
Wherever I've lived (rural Midwest), those who are proud of their gasoline or diesel vehicles need no signage. They modify their exhaust in such a way that all doubt is removed to what powers their vehicles. The added benefit of removing all the particulate filters of a diesel is you can "coal roll" all those yuppie, overly-proud EV owners.

I'm absolutely positive that straight piping your Korean-designed turbo charged 4-cylinder Tucson will scream good ol' testosterone-fueled American pride and turn all the heads just as much as the EV owners with all their stickers.

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
815 Posts
Leaving full EV's separate...
For Hybrids I am dubious. They can be beneficial but there are limitations when that is.
Driving mostly "city" type driving and short trips and errands thereby staying mostly in EV mode is a winner. That kind of use could overcome the higher cost. You do still however have a more complex vehicle with more to go wrong as we even see in the forums. Warranty can help with that including an extended one but not with the inconvenience. And of course in present times the effort to get one that you want is a drawback.
Compounding that, mine and other's Tucson ICE vehicles cost less and are getting terrific mpg that can beat the Hybrids highway or at the least equal them. 38 to 43 with no effort more than not going over 70 too often. Even my combined mileage since day 1 is nearly 33 mpg.

That doesn't make them bad. Hybrids are a viable alternative. Some in the end even when considering charging costs will save.
Going all EV is a complex different discussion. Making artificial dates to mandate them is nonsense I'll say that much. And how the electricity is made and the ability of the U.S. grid are all part of considerations.

· Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
492 Posts
The fuel economy isn't the only issue from my experience and what I have read. I am talking about direct comparison between the two Tucsons only , not trying to make a point about the pros and of hybrid or electric technology in general. I test drove the ICE more than once while waiting for a hybrid I could drive and found the 8 speed hunting for gears around town and not the smoothest shifts. It didn't accelerate as well around town or during highway passing. The hybrid is much quieter around town when in electric mode and because the starter generator is belt driven and many times more powerful than a traditional 12 volt starter motor, the auto starts - stops of the ICE are virtually undetectable. The hybrid is faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile times while getting equal or better fuel economy in the real world, particularly in around town driving. It also handles better due to the torque vectoring from the electric motor that the ICE can't provide. To each his own. I am happy with my blue hybrid after over 15000 miles of trouble free driving. I'm surely not get sucked into some pseudo macho comparison between gas and electric or a divisive political discussion about green technology.

· Registered
492 Posts
I agree. I was a little apprehensive, since Hyundai's approach to hybrid is completely different from the leaders in the technology (Toyota and Honda, in that order, IMHO). I just didn't care for the CRV or RAV4. Neither drove like a traditional vehicle. You could tell immediately you were driving something different. With the Tucson, except for the quietness and the EV light coming on , it feels like any other car. Anyway I ended up leasing, so just in case I wasn't happy, I wasn't stuck long term. So far I am pleasantly surprised. As of today, the book value is higher than when I bought it. My wife has a lead foot too, I consistently beat her mpg numbers by at least 3 or 4 four mpg, sometimes double digits around town.

· Registered
815 Posts
The fuel economy isn't the only issue from my experience and what I have read. I am talking about direct comparison between the two Tucsons only , not trying to make a point about the pros and of hybrid or electric technology in general. I test drove the ICE more than once while waiting for a hybrid I could drive and found the 8 speed hunting for gears around town and not the smoothest shifts. It didn't accelerate as well around town or during highway passing. The hybrid is much quieter around town when in electric mode and because the starter generator is belt driven and many times more powerful than a traditional 12 volt starter motor, the auto starts - stops of the ICE are virtually undetectable. The hybrid is faster 0-60 and 1/4 mile times while getting equal or better fuel economy in the real world, particularly in around town driving. It also handles better due to the torque vectoring from the electric motor that the ICE can't provide. To each his own. I am happy with my blue hybrid after over 15000 miles of trouble free driving. I'm surely not get sucked into some pseudo macho comparison between gas and electric or a divisive political discussion about green technology.
My 2.5 stopped hunting for gears after breaking in, it did do it at first. It also gained more power from take off since new and no hesitation that it did have. I admit am not one who cares about off the line stats, just need to be able to merge into traffic safely and the 2.5 is plenty quick for that. No problems easily keeping highway speeds.
All aspects considered I am glad I did not spend more and wait to get the Tucson Hybrid. MPG would have been the major factor that now isn't so much a reason as it turns out. As I posted they are a viable alternative for now more based on what your trips are. If we are only talking Tucson and not in general the Tucson ICE imo holds it's own as it turns out.

· Registered
492 Posts
Your fuel economy is impressive. You must have excellent driving habits. It also shows that Hyundai did a good job mating the 8 speed transmission and a solid non turbo motor with good overall power and torque. It must be nice cruising along at highway speeds in 8th gear and the engine barely above idle.

· Registered
815 Posts
Your fuel economy is impressive. You must have excellent driving habits. It also shows that Hyundai did a good job mating the 8 speed transmission and a solid non turbo motor with good overall power and torque. It must be nice cruising along at highway speeds in 8th gear and the engine barely above idle.
This is very typical for me. I do see others who get in that neighborhood. Manually figuring mpg I get very close to what the computer gets.

Speedometer Gauge Font Auto part Measuring instrument

· Registered
815 Posts
Damn, the best I ever see is 7.2L/100Km (32MPG) on a dual lane highway at 120kph (~75MPH). What is your usual ambient?
My ambient temp is Florida! :) high 80's low 90's. I stay below 70 mph (113 kph)often but not 100% of the time. I will be on a long trip soon across the Country we will see how that goes. I took a few pics on different trips they are in these ranges sometimes a little less maybe 38-39 mpg when I am over 70 mph longer.

Light Speedometer Gauge Font Circle

· Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate PHEV (Crimson Red, on order)
104 Posts
Leaving full EV's separate...
For Hybrids I am dubious. They can be beneficial but there are limitations when that is.
Driving mostly "city" type driving and short trips and errands thereby staying mostly in EV mode is a winner. That kind of use could overcome the higher cost. You do still however have a more complex vehicle with more to go wrong as we even see in the forums. Warranty can help with that including an extended one but not with the inconvenience. And of course in present times the effort to get one that you want is a drawback.
Compounding that, mine and other's Tucson ICE vehicles cost less and are getting terrific mpg that can beat the Hybrids highway or at the least equal them. 38 to 43 with no effort more than not going over 70 too often. Even my combined mileage since day 1 is nearly 33 mpg.

That doesn't make them bad. Hybrids are a viable alternative. Some in the end even when considering charging costs will save.
Going all EV is a complex different discussion. Making artificial dates to mandate them is nonsense I'll say that much. And how the electricity is made and the ability of the U.S. grid are all part of considerations.
I didn't want a PHEV or HEV per se, I wanted good acceleration for expressway merging and the driving assist features for long highway trips, which are half my yearly driving. But Hyundai Canada set things up so that if you want the high-end driving assist stuff, you have to buy a hybrid power train, and if you want a hybrid power train, you have to buy the top two trims. (I know that Hyundai USA does it differently, and better in some respects.) I picked the PHEV over the HEV because it sounded unusual and nifty, never dreaming that the choice would delay delivery by 8 months or more compared to the HEV. I certainly didn't choose it to impress Justin Trudeau.

In the USA, can you get the gas engine with the Limited trim?

· Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
74 Posts
But Hyundai Canada set things up so that if you want the high-end driving assist stuff, you have to buy a hybrid power train, and if you want a hybrid power train, you have to buy the top two trims.
Which assists were you looking for? I have the Lane Keep Assist, and Full dual sensor Adaptive cruise control in my preferred (2nd cheapest) trim with 0 options. I am unsure what other assists would be of value and I also drive all over the country.

· Registered
815 Posts
I didn't want a PHEV or HEV per se, I wanted good acceleration for expressway merging and the driving assist features for long highway trips, which are half my yearly driving. But Hyundai Canada set things up so that if you want the high-end driving assist stuff, you have to buy a hybrid power train, and if you want a hybrid power train, you have to buy the top two trims. (I know that Hyundai USA does it differently, and better in some respects.) I picked the PHEV over the HEV because it sounded unusual and nifty, never dreaming that the choice would delay delivery by 8 months or more compared to the HEV. I certainly didn't choose it to impress Justin Trudeau.

In the USA, can you get the gas engine with the Limited trim?
Yes any non Hybrid trim.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
74 Posts
The Tucson gas model has the weakest powertrain though, in terms of horsepower. So not as much to be proud of. Just saying.
Beats the hello out of a 150hp CVT Rogue or Quashqai. I have rented at least one SUV from every major manufacturer over the past 7 years, the Tucson is, while lacking power in comparison to domestic alternatives, has no issues passing on the highways (120-160 kph). I believe the transmission helps a lot.

Also this is a meme post due to another user looking for ways to brag about driving a hybrid.

· Registered
2022 Tucson LTD
112 Posts
As for power just don't pull out when a semi is barreling down towards you. Don't be in a hurry and drive ahead of the vehicle several car lengths and not 5 feet in front. I see folk go from full throttle to hard braking because they don't look ahead. Hard on brake and mpg. Proactive not reactive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts