Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am wondering if some of you have some problems closing the rear door passenger. The other doors close smoothly, but this one needs a little push to close it firmly.

I have mentioned that to my dealer, and they tell me they can't do anything.

Any advice?

Thanks

· Registered
310 Posts
Sure, thank the dealer for their admission of incompetence and absence of post-sale professionalism. Then, start a file with myHyundai online and see where that gets you.
Another thought is brainstorm any previously patronized autoshop you may have used for your previous car, - as long as that one had not been under warranty too and just went back to a dealer all the time. What you want is a 'free consult' of someone you've already got a rapport with, hell even the wrench-head neighbor who'd love showing off his manly prowess in perhaps quickly noticing a piece of trim, weatherstripping, escutcheon or other innocuous interference or bind with clearance.

Here's just one hit from a simple search, and I only skimmed but it can give ideas and possible causes of closing problems. But they would seem to be less applicable to a brand new vehicle.

Finally, appreciate that the Tucson has a generally comforting firm feeling 'close' that attests to the 'triple-seal' and good cabin sealing all around v. most old clunkers with air leaking everywhere. You may just be having issues closing the side using your 'weak' hand. Get others to work the door too, and just don't be surprised if they all say you're imagining things. ;)

T'sall I got. Loop back if / when you find something, as this issue hasn't come up much and would be good for others to know too. Good luck.

· Registered
2022 Ultimate HEV
221 Posts
Hello, I am wondering if some of you have some problems closing the rear door passenger. The other doors close smoothly, but this one needs a little push to close it firmly.

Any advice?

Thanks
I think most have the power-lift-gate trims so probably not too helpful.

Had experience with this in my Kona though. Try reading this, specifically post #4.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue Trim
165 Posts
I've noticed that the passenger-side rear door takes a bit harder slam to close than the other doors. I don't see any problem with the fitment of the door or the striker and latch. I could try to adjust the striker or latch to better it but that invites rattles and leaks if the adjustment is too loose. I notice that the door latches smoothly if another door is open so I think the original adjustment may be right and internal air pressure builds up more on that door when closing for some reason. I'm not going to mess with it because I know from experience in adjusting door strikers with other cars that it's easier to make things worse than better.

If you decide to experiment with striker adjustment, make sure you mark the original position so you can get back to it if you mess things up.

· Registered
181 Posts
On mine if feels like the rear doors are quite light, so there's very little inertia to assist in the closing. So, yes, I have to close them with more 'force'. But they do close. The front doors seem to have a bit of weight in them, so they feel like they close with very little effort.

Alan

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On mine if feels like the rear doors are quite light, so there's very little inertia to assist in the closing. So, yes, I have to close them with more 'force'. But they do close. The front doors seem to have a bit of weight in them, so they feel like they close with very little effort.

Alan
I agree with you, I feel the rear doors are little light compared with front doors but the rear driver door closes without any effort. I think in my case the seal on the rear door pushes the door outside so you need a little pressure to close it firmly or maybe other issues with the door assembly.

· Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
492 Posts

Any advice?

Thanks
Before I bought my car, I saw a couple of videos where people had to try a couple of times to close a rear door. Lo and behold, my rear passenger door balks every once in awhile but if fits perfectly. Try closing it with a window open. If it closes more easily, I would leave well enough alone, especially if it fits well and seals properly. You could also try a little white lithium spray grease on the latch and hinges.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
208 Posts
Is there any change with the windows slightly open or another door open? The rubber seals are still new and the car is well sealed so applying more pressure may be normal to overcome the air pressure. I have noticed my rear doors need somewhat more effort as well.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have tested this:
  • front windows open: the rear doors close without any effort.
  • all windows completely closed: the rear doors need some effort to close firmly.
So, in some way this is related to the air pressure in the cabin.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
208 Posts
Yes, my wife always has problems closing the passenger rear door unless my window is down, she tends to slam it. I suggest not adjusting the latch on the body as you can make it worse. In the factory, they use a hammer and tool to adjust it during assembly.

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
814 Posts
This for me is no different than our Soul was or our Nissan is. A little more effort to close a back door if all windows up and only that door opened. I too say don't make any changes.

· Registered
349 Posts

Any advice?

Thanks
Like everyone has said, sounds like an incompetent dealer. I’ve had other cars that had a door get out of alignment. It only takes a minor adjustment in the latch mechanism. Find a better dealer!

· Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
492 Posts
I have tested this:
  • front windows open: the rear doors close without any effort.
  • all windows completely closed: the rear doors need some effort to close firmly.
So, in some way this is related to the air pressure in the cabin.
As I said in my first post, I suggest leaving it as is. I have read posts here of people having water infiltration problems at the bottom of their rear doors. If your doors are sealing so tightly that it takes a little more effort to make them close, I think you have a winner, especially if they line up properly with the body. One other thing you might try is to make sure your HVAC is not in recirculation mode. That might give the trapped air a way to escape. I have to say that my car has the best fitting doors hood, hatch of any car I have ever owned. The gaps between doors and frames are laser accurate. The original VW Beetle had that problem with closing doors, but VW put a positive spin on it with commercials showing floating VW's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts