Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson HEV Ultimate; White/Grey
236 Posts
I've seen this conversion mentioned in some other posts. If somebody could post link(s) to the product(s) I would be grateful.
For my fellow Canadians, here are links to what I decided to buy on amazon.ca (each item is a 2-pak) ... feel free to decide on another product or source (I receive no compensation whatsoever).
If you should receive a message on either product warning you it doesn't fit your 2022 Tucson, ignore it ... I can verify it works perfectly!

To install, look underneath the vehicle ... at the rear on the driver's side, you'll see this (n.b. next 3 pics, credit to users johudso7 & Dekero from another forum):
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting Trunk

The white housing at the left of the pic is the reverse bulb, while the brownish one to its right is the signal bulb. As is typical, you need to twist the housing counter-clockwise (about a half turn) to loosen it and allow the housing to pull straight out to access/change the bulb.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

WARNING ... you need really small hands and strong fingers to fit into these tight spaces and get enough leverage to twist the bulb housings loose, then to tighten them again after you change each bulb! One owner reported using a 14mm socket instead to loosen the bulb housing. Another said "really long 'long-nosed' pliers (4" with 8" handles) made the job very easy." If you have large hands/fingers you might consider these tricks or perhaps obtain assistance from someone else who's suited to the task.

The passenger side rear is, as you might expect, the mirror image, but is protected by a plastic cover, held on by two plastic hex-head screws and two fasteners:
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

For anyone not familiar with the fasteners holding the plastic cover at the right-rear (above pic shows the nearer one partially pulled out), they look like the pic below when inserted (the splayed out bottom holds the cover onto vehicle):
Finger Household hardware Tool Car alarm Thumb
You need to insert a trim tool, or a staple remover tool like this:
Microphone Audio equipment Font Office supplies Electric blue

to pull the centre pin out, separating it from its collar (which when inserted, looks like a washer), so it releases as shown in the pic below:
Finger Thumb Nail Auto part Metal
Then the entire 2-piece fastener will pop out. When done, simply re-insert the fastener (in its released state as shown immediately above) and push in firmly.

Lastly, if you find any of this useful, please give me a "thumbs up"! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the extremely detailed response. (And I even have a trim tool.)

Some of the reviews for the turn signal bulbs mention them being extremely bright, and possibly too bright for drivers behind you. What is your opinion?

(Just from the pictures...........i.e. no reality check...........it looks like a piece of PVC pipe with a slot cut into the end might be useful for twisting the sockets off and back on.)

·
Registered
2022 Amazon Grey Tucson HEV Ultimate with Black Leather
21 Posts
I replaced the turn signal bulbs with LEDs (waiting for the reverse LEDs). I now get an error on the dash display - "Check turn signals". I checked the manual's instructions and the only thing I did not do was remove the battery's negative connector (as per the manual). Any ideas? Will removing the battery negative connection and replacing it clear the error, or should I just use my ODB reader to do it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I replaced the turn signal bulbs with LEDs (waiting for the reverse LEDs). I now get an error on the dash display - "Check turn signals". I checked the manual's instructions and the only thing I did not do was remove the battery's negative connector (as per the manual). Any ideas? Will removing the battery negative connection and replacing it clear the error, or should I just use my ODB reader to do it?
I'm afraid I have no idea about clearing the error.

A couple of questions to clarify your situation:
1. Are the bulbs working/flashing at all?
2. Which brand/model did you use; was it the exact brand/model I linked to above?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm afraid I have no idea about clearing the error.

A couple of questions to clarify your situation:
1. Are the bulbs working/flashing at all?
2. Which brand/model did you use; was it the exact brand/model I linked to above?
Yes, same bulb, and yes, the bulbs are working fine. I'll try removing the negative connection and see.
Rick

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes, same bulb, and yes, the bulbs are working fine. I'll try removing the negative connection and see.
Rick
That’s very odd because I received no messages upon installation of those bulbs last fall (without removing the negative terminal) and they’ve been working perfectly ever since … sorry I can’t be of more help!

·
Registered
'22 SEL +Convenience +Premium in Intense Blue
135 Posts
Glad I found this post, the pictures are much better than the tutorial pics I took!

For any US owners, here's what I'd recommend for bulbs:
Signal lights: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07RMX2XK6
Reverse: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B099N1TB5R

The signal lights are so bright I actually jumped first time I hit the fob behind my car at night. WOW. Reverse lights are brighter, but I haven't found the camera view when backing up to be any better or worse. It was fine to begin with in my opinion.

If you're getting an error I would guess you have a weak connection, or the bulbs are just not compatible. It's not hard to get counterfeit bulbs on amazon.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
190 Posts
Rick
Don’t remove the negative battery cable as this won’t fix it. One of the bulbs could be defective as this is likely a canbus error. You can try and remove/re-install as a poor electrical connection can also cause this error.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Any news?
Yes! I thought I had bought the same bulbs as per your post, but I HAD NOT! I bought the correct bulbs and installed them yesterday. All is well and thank you for your help. BTW, a pair of really long "long-nosed" pliers (4" with 8" handles) made the job very easy.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yes! I thought I had bought the same bulbs as per your post, but I HAD NOT! I bought the correct bulbs and installed them yesterday. All is well and thank you for your help. BTW, a pair of really long "long-nosed" pliers (4" with 8" handles) made the job very easy.
So glad to hear your troubles are behind you! And likewise, to know that the bulbs I acquired/installed aren't flakey, after all!!

Your trick of using very long needle-nose pliers is a great one ... I'll edit my post to add that!

·
Registered
2022 Ultimate HEV
211 Posts
"Check turn signals".
Don't quote me on this. This is my understanding.

For incandescent bulbs, the car detects a burnt bulb by voltage. In a normal working bulb, the voltage goes into the bulb, some of it gets turned into heat, and some of the voltage returns.
When the incandescent bulb burns out, the voltage cannot return because the circuit is broken (hence you can see a broken filament in the bulb). The car senses you need to replace the bulb.
Conversely, if you put in a LED bulb, the LED uses less voltage. The car thinks there's a short circuit since so much of the voltage is returned. Properly calibrated / designed LED bulbs will produce a voltage drop similar to the incandescent to eliminate the error, usually by producing waste heat.

Essentially... there has been no new advances in this technology, and so your LED has to imitate the power draw of an incandescent, therefore there are no energy savings.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
190 Posts
Don't quote me on this. This is my understanding.

For incandescent bulbs, the car detects a burnt bulb by voltage. In a normal working bulb, the voltage goes into the bulb, some of it gets turned into heat, and some of the voltage returns.
When the incandescent bulb burns out, the voltage cannot return because the circuit is broken (hence you can see a broken filament in the bulb). The car senses you need to replace the bulb.
Conversely, if you put in a LED bulb, the LED uses less voltage. The car thinks there's a short circuit since so much of the voltage is returned. Properly calibrated / designed LED bulbs will produce a voltage drop similar to the incandescent to eliminate the error, usually by producing waste heat.

Essentially... there has been no new advances in this technology, and so your LED has to imitate the power draw of an incandescent, therefore there are no energy savings.
The vehicle detects a burnt out bulb by the lack of resistance from the filament. LED’s are diode based and don’t have resistance thus a canbus capable LED is required as there is an added resistor. This also prevents hyper flashing of the bulb. The resistor in an LED is higher than the low resistance of an incandescent bulb.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts