Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed in the manual the advisory to not open the panoramic sunroof if you have roof cross rails installed (mine came from the factory). When the salesperson showed me the car it opened without issue, no contact with the cross rails.

Anyone know the reason? Doesn’t specify in the literature as to why. I’m guessing it’s to prevent people from getting bopped on the head with something they’ve loaded on the rails? Or is there something else?

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
258 Posts
Total speculation, but I would think that the closed roof panel would contribute to the rigidity of the roof structure. (Or, conversely, the pano roof being open would make the roof structure less rigid.) Probably OK to open the pano roof without any load on the racks, but I plan on keeping mine closed if carrying any load.

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
258 Posts
Interesting - love your theory though! I'd like to buy cross rails for our Hybrid Limited but the darn things are egregiously overpriced and we haven't actually had a need for them as of yet.
Are you looking at the Thule racks or the OEM Hyundai racks? The Hyundai racks are made by Thule and cost half as much.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited PHEV Amazon Gray / Black. 2022 Tucson SEL PHEV Shimmering Silver / Gray
182 Posts
Interesting - love your theory though! I'd like to buy cross rails for our Hybrid Limited but the darn things are egregiously overpriced and we haven't actually had a need for them as of yet.
I have a cargo carrier that is brand new and never installed if interested.

·
Registered
51 Posts
There is certainly no interference IF you have the correct roof rails. I just assumed it was one of those excessive cautions because if you have the wrong roof rails installed, you could shatter the sunroof. I checked that there is no problem (
).

It is pretty noisy driving down the highway with the roof rails on and the sunroof open so I would not plan to do it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is certainly no interference IF you have the correct roof rails. I just assumed it was one of those excessive cautions because if you have the wrong roof rails installed, you could shatter the sunroof. I checked that there is no problem.

It is pretty noisy driving down the highway with the roof rails on and the sunroof open so I would not plan to do it.
Thanks for the video. That is a good point. I suppose lower rails or improperly installed rails could shatter the glass. Mine is the same... no contact whatsoever.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Thanks for the video. That is a good point. I suppose lower rails or improperly installed rails could shatter the glass. Mine is the same... no contact whatsoever.
Hyundai has two models, one says specifically not for panoramic roof. The other I don't think actually says it is for a panoramic roof but it lists limited models as compatible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts