Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Ultimate Edition Tucson Amazon Grey
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for peoples recommendations for snow tires. I currently use the Michelin X-Ice on my Sienna and will need new snows for the Tucson. The x-ice in that size seem really expensive in Ottawa. Any other really good winter tire recommendations that might not be quite so expensive?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’m looking for peoples recommendations for snow tires. I currently use the Michelin X-Ice on my Sienna and will need new snows for the Tucson. The x-ice in that size seem really expensive in Ottawa. Any other really good winter tire recommendations that might not be quite so expensive?
Sorry I should have added that this is for the Ultimate so 19” wheels.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Check on Tire Rack’s website. They can recommend a few alter natives for the Tucson.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do we need snow tires? With snow mode and AWD, shouldn't it be able to handle the snow? I know it probably wont' be able to handle heavy snow, but most can probably wait until snow is cleared on the streets, unless your job requires you to get go in even in a snow storm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do we need snow tires? With snow mode and AWD, shouldn't it be able to handle the snow? I know it probably wont' be able to handle heavy snow, but most can probably wait until snow is cleared on the streets, unless your job requires you to get go in even in a snow storm.

I’m in Ottawa and would never own a car without snow tires…..

·
Registered
Ultimate hybrid, Amazon Grey
153 Posts
That's fair, I do know that Ottawa usually has a lot more snow than in Toronto. I'm curious what others think about getting snow tires for those that are in the Toronto and GTA.
GTA area here. I'm not planning on getting snows. Never had them on my Caddy sedan AWD and never missed them. As a retiree I can just not go out in a storm, but never had an issue even getting caught in one a bit. The Tucson has snow mode and higher ground clearance so getting stuck shouldn't be an issue. Careful driving is a must though because there is still the braking, stopping and skidding to consider, all of which are improved with the softer rubber in the snow tires.

·
Registered
11 Posts
GTA area here. I'm not planning on getting snows. Never had them on my Caddy sedan AWD and never missed them. As a retiree I can just not go out in a storm, but never had an issue even getting caught in one a bit. The Tucson has snow mode and higher ground clearance so getting stuck shouldn't be an issue. Careful driving is a must though because there is still the braking, stopping and skidding to consider, all of which are improved with the softer rubber in the snow tires.
Thanks for your input, I may skip getting winter tires for the Tucson. I'll decide when I do get my Tucson next year.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yup that’s usually where I get them when they have sales. Just wondering if anyone had some experience and could recommend good ones other than Michelin X-Ice
I don’t have experience, but you can also go to Consumers Reports. They have many snow tire recommendations, Michelin X being one of them.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
46 Posts
If they have Kal-Tire out east, you could definitely go for the Hakkapellitta R3 SUV. They are top rated and work extremely well on the Tucson, and my Kona. 18s on the Tucson, 17s on the Kona. I wouldn't recommend the studded variant.

Edit: My bad, I didn't see the budget constraints

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
46 Posts
Goodyear Wrangler for sure
Mud and Snow :p
Ugh, thanks for reminding me of one of my worst work trips lol. Mud tires on a clapped out Dodge Ram + first big dump of snow of the year turned what should have been a 5hr drive into 9. I definitely learned how awful mud tires are in the snow that day.

·
Registered
2022 TUCSON HYBRID DELUXE
74 Posts
You should go for 18" rims
So when you hit a pot hole
Your rims due to a higher tire, will get less damaged. Plus get Ice tires instead of snow. In city you have more icy roads then snow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts