Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Ultimate hybrid, Amazon Grey
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the big storm through the U. S. as well as southern Ontario has anyone traveled through it with your new Tucson? With or without snow tires? We got about 12 to 15 inches here in Hamilton.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not my baby is sitting this one out. 16-18 inches yesterday! View attachment 535
Don't blame you. If I had mine it would be the same story. I guess it was anyway. We just looked out the window of our condo and saw all the people getting stuck. Thank goodness we had nowhere we had to go. Looks like my colour - Amazon Grey?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited PHEV Amazon Gray / Black. 2022 Tucson SEL PHEV Shimmering Silver / Gray
181 Posts
Don't blame you. If I had mine it would be the same story. I guess it was anyway. We just looked out the window of our condo and saw all the people getting stuck. Thank goodness we had nowhere we had to go. Looks like my colour - Amazon Grey?
Yes it is...a limited and getting a Shimmering Silver SEL coming in on the 20th.
It is a Amazon Gray Limited. The wifes Shimmering Silver SEL is due in on January 20th.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Only got 2” of snow here outside of Philadelphia, but I could not resist, so I took my Limited HEV out for a drive around the neighborhood (it was late and nobody else out). This is the limited with All Season tires that are wider than ideal for driving in snow. My tires are Michelin Primacy A/S (Not sure if all regions get the same tires).

Not much of a test, but more than anyone else is posting :). Car felt nice and secure (in Eco and Snow mode). No problem going up hills, stopping was really good and straight. I tried a few dumb things like hitting the brakes while going down a hill and turning, and it was not that hard to make the back slide out but the car caught itself quickly and straightened back out. Not enough room in the neighborhood to really put the car through its paces though, but a good first look.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
70 Posts
With the big storm through the U. S. as well as southern Ontario has anyone traveled through it with your new Tucson? With or without snow tires? We got about 12 to 15 inches here in Hamilton.
Here in Edmonton we have had a few massive storms and some of the most snow I have seen in quite a few years this year. Plenty of ice, sub -30°C weather, and today freezing rain and 90km/h winds. The Tucson has been great on 17" Hakkapaelitta R3s. The Stability Control has not been as aggressive as my Kona is, so it makes controlled drifting much easier, but the Traction Control is pretty odd. It will kick in and stay on to the point that my revs stay low, and lug the transmission in a way. Just gotta be extremely light on the throttle on ice.

·
Registered
2022 SEL-C Hybrid
51 Posts
With work, I had to drive in it. Later this spring I may Dynamat the doors. Going down the highway I was trying pretty hard to stay completely away from other traffic, but the occasional truck would pass and slushy-snow would blast the side of my car (squeezed out from the trucks tires) and it was really loud inside my Tucson. The car is SO quiet on a normal day that this surprised me.

That was my only criticism. Once I got onto side-roads, which were a total mess... the AWD Tucson kicked ass. I had someone sitting at a green light... I politely beeped "hey you wanna go?"... and they looked back down at their phone or whatever they were doing... so I went around them "with authority" and was pleased at how well my car hooked up and took off... only mildly affected by the snow.

Oh and a tip of the hat to the person above who mentioned the Michelins... I am AMAZED that is never a topic anywhere. Even when buying the car, nobody makes mention of it as a selling point. For those curious, at least now, as of Jan-Feb '22... if you get an SEL Hybrid, Limited, or Limited Hybrid, you get the Michelins. This is what I've observed in local dealers as well as online. Any of the other models/trims get Kuhmo or similar.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been driving this winter on just the stock Roadian GTX All-seasons and I have to say it's been pretty good in all the snow conditions so far. The AWD helps a lot.

It really depends on the routes that you have to drive daily. But I don't think you have to put winter tires on at all in the first year. Based on my experiences driving multiple snow storms in Edmonton, Alberta.

I would recommend driving in the first winter storm to see how it handles for you and then decide if you want the extra security with winter tires.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been driving this winter on just the stock Roadian GTX All-seasons and I have to say it's been pretty good in all the snow conditions so far. The AWD helps a lot.

It really depends on the routes that you have to drive daily. But I don't think you have to put winter tires on at all in the first year. Based on my experiences driving multiple snow storms in Edmonton, Alberta.

I would recommend driving in the first winter storm to see how it handles for you and then decide if you want the extra security with winter tires.
Thank you. Being in a condo I don't have space for a second set of wheels or even just tires, and have not used or needed snows in years. Being retired I can just stay home until the roads are clear, unless I was already out when a storm comes in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
since the subject is " Ice and Snow" how is your wipers doing, here in Montreal we had -35 and snow my wipers kept on building ice and making driving a hell. I was wondering if anyone can recommends a good pair of wipers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
since the subject is " Ice and Snow" how is your wipers doing, here in Montreal we had -35 and snow my wipers kept on building ice and making driving a hell. I was wondering if anyone can recommends a good pair of wipers.
I've have no issues other than the poorly designed hood. It comes up too far into the windshield making it impossible to lift the wipers up. Usually if it is snowing over night, I lift my wipers up so the snow is easier to get off in the morning. Mayne I will film a short video of what i mean. But every other car i've had, i was able to lift my wipers up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've have no issues other than the poorly designed hood. It comes up too far into the windshield making it impossible to lift the wipers up. Usually if it is snowing over night, I lift my wipers up so the snow is easier to get off in the morning. Mayne I will film a short video of what i mean. But every other car i've had, i was able to lift my wipers up.
This is how I put it up to tap the Ice

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is how I put it up to tap the Ice

Interesting. I have tried that before but the wipers always go down before the power is cut off. Will give it another shot. Thanks.

Also want to add that after I park my car for the night, I usually clean the wipers with paper towel so it doesn't freeze over night.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting. I have tried that before but the wipers always go down before the power is cut off. Will give it another shot. Thanks.

Also want to add that after I park my car for the night, I usually clean the wipers with paper towel so it doesn't freeze over night.
Next time will do that, now I'm after finding better wipers hopping will find one.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue Trim
140 Posts

My experience is opposite yours. I was on Lost Trail and Lolo passes a few months ago and very unhappy with the traction and control of the OEM Nexens in snow and ice. I was doing much worse with the Nexen-shod AWD Tucson than I did with my FWD Acura RSX and Toyo Celsius all-weather tires. Much worse. At one point I experimented with turning off traction control and ESC in the Tucson and quickly ended up sideways and drifting across the road to a guardrail on the other side. Fortunately I didn't hit anything. I would not recommend the Nexens to anybody for ice and snow duty. I don't think they are appropriate tires for North Americans.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.