Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Tucson back in January 2022. It’s a 2022 SEL and it’s not a hybrid it’s just gasoline. The car was working great, no issues until this morning. My radio, fan, check engine light, oil light, battery light and key light all came on but it would never turn over to start. It would just click. I had to miss a whole day of work. I called the dealership and they directed me on to the road side service. They send a tow truck to my house and I was labeled as a “jump off” which tells me Hyundai knows their batteries are junk and isn’t fixing the problem but it took the tow guy 3 different ways to jump start it and it finally took off. Ended up driving it back to the dealership where they were going to run a 60-160 minute battery test to see if current is going anywhere else in the car. It was a great car and never had any issues, but highly disappointed that I paid so much for a car and only had 1400 miles on it and for it to be dead In my driveway. Has anyone else had any issues with their gasoline engine Tucson?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
630 Posts
You're making a lot of assumptions! You have no idea if it is the battery or not yet in fact you were told they are looking to see if the current is going anywhere, which would mean they may not think the battery is bad.. There is no track record of bad batteries I have seen anywhere.

All new cars can have problems and I agree it can be disappointing if it happens. Hopefully this will be taken care of and not happen again.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You're making a lot of assumptions! You have no idea if it is the battery or not yet in fact you were told they are looking to see if the current is going anywhere, which would mean they may not think the battery is bad.. There is no track record of bad batteries I have seen anywhere.

All new cars can have problems and I agree it can be disappointing if it happens. Hopefully this will be taken care of and not happen again.
Actually it's a know issue with Hyundai. See the Genesis forums. Battery issues on brand new vehicles.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Actually it's a know issue with Hyundai. See the Genesis forums. Battery issues on brand new vehicles.
1. That isn't what I see there, still a question there if there is a drain on the battery.

2. Is the Genesis battery the same as Tucson?

3. Two instances of leaving the fob near the car after turning off may be keeping some electronics on, not just Hyundai. That is a known issue generally not just Hyundai, it is known the fob continues to communicate to the car if close enough or though a window etc, however normally it isn't enough to drain the battery but there has been at least two instances.

It could be a battery problem but from all I see it is rush to judgement to determine that is the problem still.

·
Registered
58 Posts
1. That isn't what I see there, still a question there if there is a drain on the battery.

2. Is the Genesis battery the same as Tucson?

3. Two instances of leaving the fob near the car after turning off may be keeping some electronics on, not just Hyundai. That is a known issue generally not just Hyundai, it is known the fob continues to communicate to the car if close enough or though a window etc, however normally it isn't enough to drain the battery but there has been at least two instances.

It could be a battery problem but from all I see it is rush to judgement to determine that is the problem still.
I'll help. genesis battery drain site:genesisowners.com 2022 - Google Search

rest of google.

·
Registered
630 Posts
So I'll help you too.
Are you aware your second link brings me to the very first video that says it ISN'T the battery? It was a fuse problem??

As for the first link,
I see nothing definitive it is the battery and battery alone. I read that forum but read what people actually said not just that batteries were coming up dead. Your own links do not say what you think they do. Yes batteries are coming up dead in a particular car, the Genesis. That thread does not say exactly it is the battery.

One example "Okay, I've had my G70 for four months now and I am pretty convinced there is a charging or electrical issue."

And another example - "Either the battery is too small for the car, or the wires going from the trunk to the car ignition are of the wrong gauge and cause high amps losses, or there is some electrical default with this car but it is basically a lemon's ignition system they put in this high-price car..."

I'll say it again, it could be bad batteries, but the jury is out because it could be exactly the other things that forum is talking about too.

Also - I see no rash of dead batteries on ICE Tucson's that the OP has. I don't know that they even have the same battery as Genesis. So at this point I see nothing that says Hyundai has known bad battery problems that would explain the original poster having a dead battery. Maybe a one off bad one, maybe not the battery at all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I'll help you too.
Are you aware your second link brings me to the very first video that says it ISN'T the battery? It was a fuse problem??

As for the first link,
Again no. I see nothing definitive it is the battery and battery alone. I read that forum but read what people actually said not just that batteries were coming up dead. Your own links do not say what you think they do. Yes batteries are coming up dead in a particular car, the Genesis. NO that thread does not say exactly it is the battery.

One example "Okay, I've had my G70 for four months now and I am pretty convinced there is a charging or electrical issue."

And another example - "Either the battery is too small for the car, or the wires going from the trunk to the car ignition are of the wrong gauge and cause high amps losses, or there is some electrical default with this car but it is basically a lemon's ignition system they put in this high-price car..."

I'll say it again, it could be bad batteries, but the jury is out because it could be exactly the other things that forum is talking about too.

Btw - I see no rash of dead batteries on ICE Tucson's that the OP has. I don't know that they even have the same battery as Genesis. So at this point I see nothing that says Hyundai has known bad battery problems that would explain the original poster having a dead battery. Maybe a one off bad one, maybe not the battery at all.
Always cute when a fanboi gets mad. Listen, we have both a hyundai and a genesis. Great cars, but lets stop pretending there is no quality issue when it comes to these dead start problems. The OP is pissed because a new car is not starting. There are plenty of threads where either the dealer or the owner replaced the battery and it solved all issues. If that makes you mad, so be it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Always cute when a fanboi gets mad. Listen, we have both a hyundai and a genesis. Great cars, but lets stop pretending there is no quality issue when it comes to these dead start problems. The OP is pissed because a new car is not starting. There are plenty of threads where either the dealer or the owner replaced the battery and it solved all issues. If that makes you mad, so be it.
I don't what the thread to deteriorate more so I'll just finish with this. I followed your links (one of which I had already read) and you see the results. I quoted what people were saying, and the very first video said it was not a battery problem. I have posts here and the other forum with things I don't like or wish were different. And I think Hyundai has first year model problems with the Hybrid for some things. I am realistic either way.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I see nothing typed to characterize the poster you're referencing by using that pejorative label. And absolutely nothing typed in the original post sufficiently pegs the symptoms as either a battery, parasitic draw, fob or anything else. And I was rather surprised seeing the immediate jump to 'battery is junk' after a single dead battery incident.

I comb threads on here to build my intel on my wife's new ride, and what I find it most telling about this whole string of posts is that while it's been a month and a half since the OP started this thread (and replied to another one on the same issue), and has also been online as recently as 9 hours ago, that there's been complete absence of follow-up reply by them at all.

So my approach is to go out and look at the actual battery in the car and find it's distributed by Clarios LLC out of Milwaukee, and owned by Brookfield Business Partners. Just a few minutes googling around indicates they're not into manufacturing junk so much.

I surmise the battery isn't a weak link in Hyundai's offerings, but there could always be a defective one. I'll be keeping my ears on other quirks though with such things as the fob perhaps, or even leaving a dome light on if Tucsons don't have one of those timed 'auto-off' features like my 26-year old sedan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You do realize that they source batteries from many vendors. Moreover, regardless of what is causing the failure, bad battery, an underrated battery, slow drain due to poor design or defect, the new vehicle is dead in the driveway. We do know that hyundai has known about these types of failures and has done nothing to remedy them (you know, just like the sunroof issues, weak windshields that crack etc). Its ok to complain about a manufacturer. Dont get you panties in a bunch. And if its not yet clear to you, that was directed at you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was also having issues with my 22 Tucson not starting. Had to jump it about 3 times. Then I did a test and put the key fob in the rec room and made sure I actually turned the vehicle off. I haven't had any problems since. I should also mention that the car is parked in the garage and may not be driven for a few days to a week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts