Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Tucson Hybrid SEL with just over 1,500 miles on it. When in 1st & 2nd gear, I'm hearing a strange noise coming from the engine, almost like a knocking kind of sound. Not sure if it's the engine or transmission. It's especially pronounced under load... going up a hill, etc. It might be my imagination, but it seems to be getting worse. I'm bringing it in to the dealer but just curious if anyone else has heard this sound. It's quite noticeable in the car but harder to pick up on video. Here is short clip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Definitely need to take that into the dealership and have that looked at. Have the service manager ride with you to duplicate. There was another thread where a bunch of people found that some of the undercarriage panels were loose. Don't know if this is same thing but it's definitely not normal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a new Tucson Hybrid SEL with just over 1,500 miles on it. When in 1st & 2nd gear, I'm hearing a strange noise coming from the engine, almost like a knocking kind of sound. Not sure if it's the engine or transmission. It's especially pronounced under load... going up a hill, etc. It might be my imagination, but it seems to be getting worse. I'm bringing it in to the dealer but just curious if anyone else has heard this sound. It's quite noticeable in the car but harder to pick up on video. Here is short clip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’m having the same problem with my HYBRID started at 1000 miles changed the oil 2X with full synthetic no improvement 2nd time to dealer 1st time was for wind noise at both front doors no fix yet waiting 4 months sorry I bought this POS

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited PHEV Amazon Gray / Black. 2022 Tucson SEL PHEV Shimmering Silver / Gray
181 Posts
I’m having the same problem with my HYBRID started at 1000 miles changed the oil 2X with full synthetic no improvement 2nd time to dealer 1st time was for wind noise at both front doors no fix yet waiting 4 months sorry I bought this POS
it almost sounds like transmission to me. Try with the tachometer showing and document the rpms and manually shift the in various and see if it is a certain gear versus a certain rpm

·
Registered
58 Posts
it almost sounds like transmission to me. Try with the tachometer showing and document the rpms and manually shift the in various and see if it is a certain gear versus a certain rpm
defin
Definitely not the transmission it’s the engine you can hear it when it transitions from EV to Gas engine

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
455 Posts
When it switches from ICE to EV does the transmission get bypassed and its direct power from the EV or does ii still use the transmission in EV mode? I always just figured the transmission was making the EV more efficient.
The electric motor is mounted between the engine and transmission, in place of a torque converter. The electric motor always launches you and he ICE kicks in when they synch up. That is why "hole shots" are not very smooth . You can mash on the gas all you want, but until the ICE kicks in, you won't get good launching power. Unless you are in low traction situations, you will likely never break traction. Most times when not in EV mode, both sources are providing power through the transmission.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I brought the car in to the dealership to have it looked at but the experience was comically bad. The master tech and I drove it together. He heard the noise but said he didn't think it sounded bad or concerning. I told him the noise wasn't there when I first started driving so it must be something. He THEN admitted this was the first 2022 Tucson Hybrid he's had in the shop and wasn't sure what the engine was supposed to sound like. He said when a new one comes into the dealership he'll test drive that one to have something to compare mine too. Ridiculous. He put the car up on the lift and did not see any evidence of oil, and the oil was at the right level on the dip stick. He then suggested I try putting in premium gas to see if that helps. I told him I refuse to do that b/c the car's manual does not call for premium. He suggested I try once just to see if I notice a difference. I said I'd only do that is the dealership pays for that tank of gas. He told me to drive it for a few more weeks to see if I notice any difference and that by then they should have a new Hybrid come in that he can test drive. The whole thing was absurd. I'm going to bring it into a different dealership to have it looked at by someone else.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I brought the car in to the dealership to have it looked at but the experience was comically bad. The master tech and I drove it together. He heard the noise but said he didn't think it sounded bad or concerning. I told him the noise wasn't there when I first started driving so it must be something. He THEN admitted this was the first 2022 Tucson Hybrid he's had in the shop and wasn't sure what the engine was supposed to sound like. He said when a new one comes into the dealership he'll test drive that one to have something to compare mine too. Ridiculous. He put the car up on the lift and did not see any evidence of oil, and the oil was at the right level on the dip stick. He then suggested I try putting in premium gas to see if that helps. I told him I refuse to do that b/c the car's manual does not call for premium. He suggested I try once just to see if I notice a difference. I said I'd only do that is the dealership pays for that tank of gas. He told me to drive it for a few more weeks to see if I notice any difference and that by then they should have a new Hybrid come in that he can test drive. The whole thing was absurd. I'm going to bring it into a different dealership to have it looked at by someone else.
I have an engine noise Tucson Blue started making engine noises at 1200 miles brought it to dealer requested a ride along the service writer who is an idiot said the noise is normal? Then they tell me it will be a 3-4 hour wait what? I made an appointment with the “service manager” for 10:00 and they want me to wait?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Read my posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you get this problem figured out, my car has the exact same noise as in your video?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Did you get this problem figured out, my car has the exact same noise as in your video?
It’s the transmission. Our tucson hybrid limited had the same sound starting at 1500 but only at higher speeds the dealer said it was the transmission. Essentially they replaced the whole transmission with a new one even had a video showing the whole transmission vibrating. They said that Hyundai hasn’t noticed the problem on any other Tucson but sounds like it’s wide spread. Need to look into Nhtsa doing a recall

·
Registered
2 Posts
It’s the transmission. Our tucson hybrid limited had the same sound starting at 1500 but only at higher speeds the dealer said it was the transmission. Essentially they replaced the whole transmission with a new one even had a video showing the whole transmission vibrating. They said that Hyundai hasn’t noticed the problem on any other Tucson but sounds like it’s wide spread. Need to look into Nhtsa doing a recall
The transmission replacement fixed our problem after it being in service for 4 months.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts