Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson 2.5L Limited AWD
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '22 Tucson Limited gas model (currently with 80 miles on it) and I am noticing that when I use auto brake hold (or auto engine start/stop) when accelerating from a stop the car makes a strange groaning sound for a second as the brakes are released. It sounds like the brakes are still being held while accelerating. Is this normal or does it have something to do with the brakes not being seated in properly yet?

When I do not use these features, I don't seem to have an issue.

I am going to call the dealer on Monday but I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone else has seen similar or might have any ideas as to what is going on.

A video is available here: IMG 0011

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
783 Posts
I would save yourself the time and energy. Yes mine does that sometimes. It may have stopped doing it or as many times as the car broke in.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow-up: I called the dealer on Monday. They informed me this is "normal" for the first few weeks of ownership, and that I should call them back if it persists thereafter as the brakes are getting broken in [along with the rest of the car, for that matter]. It's still happening, but it's not a huge deal as I don't use engine auto start-stop or auto hold frequently. But it's something I still want to stop.

·
Banned
58 Posts
Follow-up: I called the dealer on Monday. They informed me this is "normal" for the first few weeks of ownership, and that I should call them back if it persists thereafter as the brakes are getting broken in [along with the rest of the car, for that matter]. It's still happening, but it's not a huge deal as I don't use engine auto start-stop or auto hold frequently. But it's something I still want to stop.
Completely not normal. They are just trying to kick the can down the road.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Try not using the auto hold, keep your foot on brake and give some gas, let go of the brake do you hear it anytime while doing that? Try a couple of times.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Completely not normal. They are just trying to kick the can down the road.
I figured that might be the case, but I tested it again last night and this morning and no groaning sounds anymore. Perhaps I haven't given the brakes enough of a workout (my commute is very short). I'm going to keep an eye and ear on it and bring it in if it persists.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Ultimate
55 Posts
I figured that might be the case, but I tested it again last night and this morning and no groaning sounds anymore. Perhaps I haven't given the brakes enough of a workout (my commute is very short). I'm going to keep an eye and ear on it and bring it in if it persists.
Hybrids use the brakes much less than conventional gas cars and it can lead to more brake noise from time to time especially in reverse.

·
Registered
783 Posts
It's more of it IS normal at first as the brakes wear in. Even normal on cars without it especially if car has been sitting but also after getting wet.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just following up on this for anyone who happens to come across this thread via Google or some other means in the future. I brought my car into an authorized dealership (I work across the street from one). They did observe the sound and reported it is just mechanical in nature and nothing to be alarmed over, having checked the brake system. I can report that it has been about two weeks since then and I have been unable to reproduce the sound. 980 miles on the odometer. Seems the car and the brakes just needed some time to wear in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Our brand new 2022 Tucson Hybrid was lemoned out after it broke down with 498 miles. We purchased another brand new 2022 non hybrid and with 100 miles we are hearing this same grinding sound upon brake release. Dealer couldn’t replicate. Told us to come back if it persists. Complete BS. I will never buy another Hyundai. We’re stuck with a beautiful car that makes a horrible noise every time we accelerate after a stop. What a shame.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
492 Posts
There are several procdures for "wearing in" or "bedding" new brakes. I don't know if that is your issue but it wouldn't hurt to try it. Here is one way. There are several variations to the procedure depending on which "expert" is advising you. Personally, I don't use the auto hold feature but if i did , I would either use this procedure first or wait at least 500 miles or so of regular driving before using the auto hold feature.

·
Registered
Montreal, QC
408 Posts
Maybe your engine is Revving a little high when stopped. Also check if AC is on when this happens, I think it increase the revving a little. So if engine is revving a little high, brakes are applied, so when you release it will tend to make that noise.
IF so, see if dealer can regulate the idle of the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My Tucson has just today started doing this, after 5,500 miles so it's not the brakes bedding in. It's a groan, almost like someone is breaking wind almost! Mine is a manual, as I'm in the UK, and it happens as I lift the clutch but only when auto hold is on.

Are others finding this just comes and goes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a '22 Tucson Limited gas model (currently with 80 miles on it) and I am noticing that when I use auto brake hold (or auto engine start/stop) when accelerating from a stop the car makes a strange groaning sound for a second as the brakes are released. It sounds like the brakes are still being held while accelerating. Is this normal or does it have something to do with the brakes not being seated in properly yet? When I do not use these features, I don't seem to have an issue. I am going to call the dealer on Monday but I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone else has seen similar or might have any ideas as to what is going on. A video is available here: IMG 0011 Thanks for any insight.
Ours has subsided at the moment. Didn’t do anything. Dealer never acknowledged the issue. Everytime we took it they said they couldn’t reproduce the sound and couldn’t find anything wrong.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts