Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How many of you new Tucson Hybrid owners that waited months for yours to arrive at the dealership, had to purchase your vehicle without being allowed to take it for a test drive first? I'm being told by my dealership that in order to drive it, it has to be paid for first in which case it's mine whether I like it or not. My sales person said, I really "think" you'll like it. Never in my 53 years of owning vehicles and purchasing new ones have I ever been told that. Thought's? Update: I after talking with my sales rep again after my first write up and after he talked with the general mgr late this morning, I will be allowed to take it for a short trip around the “block” after all. Perseverance paid off.

· Registered
Ultimate hybrid, Amazon Grey
177 Posts
How many of you new Tucson Hybrid owners that waited months for yours to arrive at the dealership, had to purchase your vehicle without being allowed to take it for a test drive first? I'm being told by my dealership that in order to drive it, it has to be paid for first in which case it's mine whether I like it or not. My sales person said, I really "think" you'll like it. Never in my 53 years of owning vehicles and purchasing new ones have I ever been told that. Thought's?
Most dealers in my area (going back to last summer) had 1 Tucson they used for test drives only and would not sell it at any price to interested buyers, of which I was one. I placed an order and waited 5 months for my Ultimate hybrid, but got exactly what I wanted.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
100 Posts
The main problem is that 99.9% of the Tucson Hybrids are already pre-sold with deposits before they even hit the dealer lots. They can't do test drives on cars that have already been sold. It took me over a month to find a dealer that had one I could test drive. It wasn't the color I wanted, but I'm kind of anal that way - just can't see plunking down $40K for a vehicle I've never driven. When we got back from the test drive, they tried very hard to push me into the black one, but I would never buy a black car in the desert - shows dust like a magnet and extra toasty inside. Turns out that dealer was adding $5K market adjustment plus $2,700 in mandatory adds. I told them to find someone else that had more money than brains.
Fortunately, there are still a few dealers with integrity who aren't trying to rape their buyers. I found one and picked up my Shimmering Silver HEV SEL Convenience Tuesday night, almost two months after putting a deposit on it.

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm honestly not too surprised, I think a car that's an order won't be allowed to be driven off the lot, since they'd like to sell it brand new to someone. If you say no someone else would be willing to, but wouldn't want to buy a car that was used as a demo.

Most dealers around me had a hybrid to test, you could see if any in your area have one you could try out.

· Registered
349 Posts
How many of you new Tucson Hybrid owners that waited months for yours to arrive at the dealership, had to purchase your vehicle without being allowed to take it for a test drive first? I'm being told by my dealership that in order to drive it, it has to be paid for first in which case it's mine whether I like it or not. My sales person said, I really "think" you'll like it. Never in my 53 years of owning vehicles and purchasing new ones have I ever been told that. Thought's?
Sounds like it’s time for a new dealer !
Most dealers keep a least one model on the lot to drive for test drives . We did have to set an appointment for the drive. We had put a refundable deposit ($ 500 ) , but it was on incoming stock that wasn’t special ordered. If your dealer is so shortsighted as not to have a demo, time to look elsewhere.

· Registered
31 Posts
My dealer had a 22 Tucson HEV to test drive, which I did like. However, he did not have a PHEV, although he said that they drive very similar.
But he did say that they would refund the $500 deposit when my PHEV arrived, if I didn't like the vehicle or the test drive of the actual car at that time.

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
815 Posts
From a consumer point I get what you are saying. I really need to do some kind of test drive first.
But do they have what you want on the lot for sale? If they have only ones already sold I would hope they would not let you drive one of those.

But here's another problem, some dealers can not afford to have a Hybrid on the lot not for sale and only for test drives. And if they have maybe one or two only on the lot they can't let the miles pile up with people test driving then not buying.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From a consumer point I get what you are saying. I really need to do some kind of test drive first.
But do they have what you want on the lot for sale? If they have only ones already sold I would hope they would not let you drive one of those.

But here's another problem, some dealers can not afford to have a Hybrid on the lot not for sale and only for test drives. And if they have maybe one or two only on the lot they can't let the miles pile up with people test driving then not buying.
I updated before. I will be allowed to take it out for a short spin. Are you located in Tampa or just outside?

· Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
492 Posts
It depends on the situation. You said it's "your car". If you put a deposit down on the car and have a signed purchase order, even if you test drove it and didn't like it, you could back out of the deal, but you would lose any deposit you left on the car, so I don't see why the dealer wouldn't let you drive it. If you just put a "hold fee" or "refundable deposit" down it depends on what you have in writing. Either way, I don't see why they wouldn't let you drive it. There is plenty of demand for these cars, if you don't buy it somebody else surely will.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM compact Spare
187 Posts
Dealers choice. I buy new cars every three years. I stopped test driving even when I could, that's just me. Looking at and checking the color scheme of interior options and sitting in them is enough for me.

I was sadden that no dealers in my area had any 22 tucsons to even look at.

I just put a deposit on a hybrid limited Tucson without seeing one in person and waited three weeks.

It's easy now a days to just go on the web for reviews and videos.

No big deal for me other than I really wanted to see the light interior option in person as videos and web pictures show different shades from cream to gray.

Easy choice to go with black to end it.

While looking for a 22 Grand Cherokee Overland, my partner chosen the one she wanted in stock and the salesman pushed hard for her to test drive it. All we wanted to do is get out of there as fast as we can, but she caved and entertained him as I was doing the sales paperwork with him.

She knew more about the Jeep than everyone at that dealership and thought a salesperson a few things they had wrong. All from research on the web.

So for some is doesn't matter, but I understand why some people want to test drive.

· Registered
349 Posts

That is certainly a problem with a high demand car. I would hope that Hyundai gives the dealers some kind of break on “demo” cars during these crazy times. Other brand dealers seem to be able to do it. Once the supply chain clears up a bit (late 2022, 2023), they can always sell the demo as low mileage SUV.
It could be an issue with a low volume dealer that just can’t get cars from Hyundai. We have a couple around here that just never have a vehicle to see or drive.

· Banned
58 Posts
I'm honestly not too surprised, I think a car that's an order won't be allowed to be driven off the lot, since they'd like to sell it brand new to someone. If you say no someone else would be willing to, but wouldn't want to buy a car that was used as a demo.

Most dealers around me had a hybrid to test, you could see if any in your area have one you could try out.
Pre-chip shortage they would let you test drive any car you wanted. A car taken on a test drive is not a demo car. Demo cars have a few thousand miles on them. I bet most of the vehicles you purchased had been test drive by someone else unless you pre-ordered. I had no issues test driving a gv70 in November (actually both the 3.5 and the 2.5 engine) as well as an elantra limited last month. I ultimately purchased my gv70 from another dealer 600 miles away, sight unseen.

· Registered
22 Posts
How many of you new Tucson Hybrid owners that waited months for yours to arrive at the dealership, had to purchase your vehicle without being allowed to take it for a test drive first? I'm being told by my dealership that in order to drive it, it has to be paid for first in which case it's mine whether I like it or not. My sales person said, I really "think" you'll like it. Never in my 53 years of owning vehicles and purchasing new ones have I ever been told that. Thought's? Update: I after talking with my sales rep again after my first write up and after he talked with the general mgr late this morning, I will be allowed to take it for a short trip around the “block” after all. Perseverance paid off.
I test drove an ICE SEL. They gave me the keys and said, we are not timing you.

· Registered
51 Posts
I went to dealers that were charging $3000 - $5000 over MSRP and they would occasionally have in stock what I wanted to test drive. When they told me how much over MSRP they were asking, I told them I was not that desperate for a car. Once I settled on what I wanted, then I ordered from someone charging only MSRP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts