Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Tucson has privacy glass, which means the rear windows are factory-darkened.
It's not dark enough to my liking, and I want to add window tint to them and also the front-side windows such that all 5 windows have the same (similar) level of tint.

Does anyone know what level of equivalent tint the privacy glass has, and how I would do the math to determine how much tint to add on top?

Hopefully my question makes sense.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate Hybrid White/Grey
208 Posts
They are around 20. I tinted my front side windows to 20 to match and they are a hair darker than the back windows. Anything darker in the front and you may get a ticket. I am now used to 20 but initially found them too dark in the rain at night.

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are around 20. I tinted my front side windows to 20 to match and they are a hair darker than the back windows. Anything darker in the front and you may get a ticket. I am now used to 20 but initially found them too dark in the rain at night.
Thanks, I am looking to achieve approximately 20 all around as well.
I wonder what tint we would need add to the rear windows to match.

· Registered
41 Posts
The Tucson has privacy glass, which means the rear windows are factory-darkened.
It's not dark enough to my liking, and I want to add window tint to them and also the front-side windows such that all 5 windows have the same (similar) level of tint.

Does anyone know what level of equivalent tint the privacy glass has, and how I would do the math to determine how much tint to add on top?

Hopefully my question makes sense.
Having been in the glass business ,auto and flat glass for decades and have worked with insurance companies, the darkened tinted glass you see is already classified as "Privacy" or "Privacy Tint" by the industry. If your door, back or quarter window glass ever blows up because it's tempered, the auto insurance company will replace it with same. Words of advice. Always provide your vin number to the auto glass replacement company so they can provide you with an exact factory replacement. Do not have them install aftermarket glass from who knows where because it is cheaper for them! I've seen instances where this has happened and the tint does not match the other glass. Another thought about window tinting on Privacy glass. If you want it darker, tint is okay as it will not damage the glass. However, every municipality is different and may not allow a darker tint to be used especially if the officer needs to shine his flashlight into your vehicle for whatever reason. I've seen many instances where folks down here in Pa have been fined and have been told to remove it. Just sayin...

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having been in the glass business ,auto and flat glass for decades and have worked with insurance companies, the darkened tinted glass you see is already classified as "Privacy" or "Privacy Tint" by the industry. If your door, back or quarter window glass ever blows up because it's tempered, the auto insurance company will replace it with same. Words of advice. Always provide your vin number to the auto glass replacement company so they can provide you with an exact factory replacement. Do not have them install aftermarket glass from who knows where because it is cheaper for them! I've seen instances where this has happened and the tint does not match the other glass. Another thought about window tinting on Privacy glass. If you want it darker, tint is okay as it will not damage the glass. However, every municipality is different and may not allow a darker tint to be used especially if the officer needs to shine his flashlight into your vehicle for whatever reason. I've seen many instances where folks down here in Pa have been fined and have been told to remove it. Just sayin...
Yes, I'm looking to add tint to the rear privacy windows. I'm not looking to replace the glass windows on a brand new car.
There is no tint limit on rear windows where I am located.
Thanks.

· Registered
41 Posts
Yes, I'm looking to add tint to the rear privacy windows. I'm not looking to replace the glass windows on a brand new car.
There is no tint limit on rear windows where I am located.
Thanks.
I wasn't implying that you replace the glass, heaven forbid! I was just stating that darkened tinted glass from the manufacturer is classified as Privacy Tint. That's all. If you have no restrictions on how dark your tint is where you live, great! In some states and local municipalities, the codes vary and if an officer chooses to be a you know what, there's not a lot an individual can do about it. When you get your tint on, show us the pics.

· Registered
41 Posts
That one and also the rear passenger side windows. It seems like you only added additional tint to the back windshield?
Technically, what you’re calling the back windshield is actually called the Back glass in the auto glass industry. Just as the glass in doors are called of course, door glass and behind the back door, passenger or driver’s side is called quarter glass. I’ve replaced a number of these over the decades.

· Registered
9 Posts
Ok so my back glass looks like limo tints because I had 20 put over the stock tint. My drivers and front passenger windows are also 20. Two back seat windows i left stock already was dark enough and matches really well with the rest of the vehicle.

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
815 Posts
Ok so my back glass looks like limo tints because I had 20 put over the stock tint. My drivers and front passenger windows are also 20. Two back seat windows i left stock already was dark enough and matches really well with the rest of the vehicle.
Probably fine for where you live. Here because the privacy tint does not block heat most of us will tint all passenger windows at the least. We matched tint darkness on the metered privacy tint to come up with a good match to the front legal tinted windows.

· Registered
41 Posts
Probably fine for where you live. Here because the privacy tint does not block heat most of us will tint all passenger windows at the least. We matched tint darkness on the metered privacy tint to come up with a good match to the front legal tinted windows.
Tampa, are you actually in Tampa or just outside? Is malfunction junction just as bad as it’s always been? I used to live in Clearwater and Dunedin.

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
815 Posts
Tampa, are you actually in Tampa or just outside? Is malfunction junction just as bad as it’s always been? I used to live in Clearwater and Dunedin.
There's a fix coming, I avoid that interchange. I'm a little north of Dunedin, I go there for the main street festivals sometimes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.