Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A limited in the color and trim we want is arriving either tomorrow or in a few days. I'm told that a hybrid version could mean waiting as long as a year (although no way to be sure). Demand far exceeds supply and I'm told not looking like any improvement anytime soon.

What does surprise me (and this helps lean towards the gas version) is that the gas version of Tucson Limited is city/highway/combined: 24,29,26 for the AWD version which comes with a 2.5L GDI/MPI 4-cylinder. The Limited hybrid version is a 1.6L Turbo GDI 4-cylinder with 44.2kW high-power density motor. It is rated at 37/36/37. However, he told us that the gas version driven in smart mode often averages over 30. I expected more of a difference.

I like the hybrid idea just as being a tad more environmentally friendly (though I realize this alone is a contentious and political issue) although if there is that little difference in mpg, perhaps just stay with the all-gas version? The other difference is in the hp. Gas engine is 187 hp compared to 226 net hp on the hybrid.

Thoughts or advice? If I wait for the hybrid, I do need to put a new headgasket in my '97 Jeep so as to keep a 2nd car on the road.

· Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
309 Posts
Consumer Reports: The base 187-horsepower, 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine is the Tucson’s weak spot. Although not a problem during the majority of everyday driving situations, its 0-60 mph time of 9.6 seconds is slower than most of its competitors. Plus, even with its leisurely acceleration, the Tucson’s 26 mpg overall lags behind the Forester and CR-V. On the bright side, the Tucson's hybrid version is both more responsive and quieter. It is significantly quicker, quieter, and gets an excellent fuel economy of 35 mpg overall.

· Registered
309 Posts
If you follow the proactive shopping strategies in the thread I referred you to, and if you are willing to travel to pick up the car, you should be able to find a hybrid within a reasonable time period. The goal is to get your name in front of as many dealers as possible and snag your desired car just as it rolls off the boat and into dealer allocation. Using the hiepcs.com tool could potentially allow you to know about a car before the dealer.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you are willing to travel to pick up the car,
that's a bit of a problem. My wife does not do much extensive driving and so prefers to avoid any sort of extensive highway driving due to certain vision issues. Buying at the local dealer is a consideration for sure. She'd be especially hesitant to drive a brand new car a considerable distance.

· Registered
309 Posts
that's a bit of a problem. My wife does not do much extensive driving and so prefers to avoid any sort of extensive highway driving due to certain vision issues. Buying at the local dealer is a consideration for sure. She'd be especially hesitant to drive a brand new car a considerable distance.
If there won't be much merging onto highways, then maybe the 0-60 time isn't that big a factor. I like to have some oomph in reserve.

In an earlier thread there was a person who had his car trucked, sight unseen, from a dealer in Denver to (I think) Seattle. The cost wasn't outrageous.

· Registered
6 Posts
I had ordered a HEV Limited trim from a local dealer and it was 6+ months. I spent the time checking websites of other dealers in my state (Texas), and nearby (Louisiana). I was able to find one in Louisiana that wasn't allocated and was the trim / color I wanted. Unfortunately, there isn't one site to check everyone's inventory, and it changes regularly. But if you are willing to spend the time, it could pay off.

· Registered
309 Posts
I had ordered a HEV Limited trim from a local dealer and it was 6+ months. I spent the time checking websites of other dealers in my state (Texas), and nearby (Louisiana). I was able to find one in Louisiana that wasn't allocated and was the trim / color I wanted. Unfortunately, there isn't one site to check everyone's inventory, and it changes regularly. But if you are willing to spend the time, it could pay off.
Bit of a correction. The web site https://hiepcs.com/hyundai with a 5,000 mile search radius will show all cars in the U.S. The web site actually accesses the HyundaiUSA inventory system. Columns can be sorted.

· Registered
Tucson 2022 SE
15 Posts
I just go directly to gas as I don't need that much of HP and mpg saving does not bother me as I work from home so not much driving around. So just weight your demand and reality. Hybrid is much fewer than gas version. It could mean much longer waiting time when you purchase and repair it.

· Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Plug-In Limited
6 Posts
This probably isn't the answer you want to hear..... But I drove a limited AWD gas model while shopping for my 2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited and I didn't like it. The powertrain was sluggish, slow to respond to throttle inputs and the 8 speed transmission stumbled and hesitated quite noticeably in stop and go traffic and parking lots. Once my hybrid came in I took it for a spin and it was a night and day difference. Really smooth experience. Quiet and powerful. I know waiting isn't the easiest but I really feel like the hybrid is the way to go. Not only for the improved fuel economy, but the refined driving experience. The hybrid is really just so much better!

It's a tough decision, just make the one that is right for you! 😁
Good luck!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know waiting isn't the easiest but I really feel like the hybrid is the way to go. Not only for the improved fuel economy, but the refined driving experience. The hybrid is really just so much better!
Wow....well, thanks. If this car comes in to the dealer as expected, we have to make a fairly quick decision.

· Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Plug-In Limited
6 Posts
Wow....well, thanks. If this car comes in to the dealer as expected, we have to make a fairly quick decision.
For sure, if you don't buy it someone else will. Definitely do go down and drive it, you may really like it. A lot of folks on the forum have the gas model and they really do enjoy them. Only you can make that decision for yourself. 😀

Reactions: mungo544

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Definitely do go down and drive it,
We did.
if you don't buy it someone else will
Yeah. It won't last long. Amazing actually that it's not already spoken for. The salesman hadn't noticed it on the sheet at first but was surprised there was no name along side it being that people are putting deposits on these things and then wait however long for them to show up.

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
815 Posts
All the reviews of the 2.5 gas were done on new not broken in engines. I agree when new with much of those reviews. Get to about 2500 miles or so and it is total BS those problems exist. The hesitation is gone transmission becomes smooth and responsive. There is plenty of power to pull out in traffic and sport mode really does give it a kick.
MPG really improves and can be terrific. I am so glad I bought the exact car I wanted and am fully enjoying and didn't settle for one not what I wanted just to be a Hybrid.

Speedometer Gauge Font Auto part Measuring instrument

· Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
492 Posts
All the reviews of the 2.5 gas were done on new not broken in engines. I agree when new with much of those reviews. Get to about 2500 miles or so and it is total BS those problems exist. The hesitation is gone transmission becomes smooth and responsive. There is plenty of power to pull out in traffic and sport mode really does give it a kick.
MPG really improves and can be terrific. I am so glad I bought the exact car I wanted and am fully enjoying and didn't settle for one not what I wanted just to be a Hybrid.

View attachment 1736
Those Florida flat lands like the eight speed!

· Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM compact Spare
187 Posts
I belive you'll be happy with either.

Compared to the gasser, the Hybrid sounded quieter inside and had a significant amount of more power.

It's true for both that the intial mileage performance is disappointing untill around the 5K mark, in which both meet or exceed EPA stated average mileage.

My choice was the hybrid for a variety of reasons.

Not hard to get 38-40mpg consistently. Sure I see 50mpg and more but that's not a consistent average.

Instant electric torque is crazy on take off.

Much more powerful than the gasser.

Mileage is considerably more per gallon.

Quieter overall.

Seamless and silent start/stop transition from electric only to engine assist.

No plug, regenerative recharging.

So for around $1400USD more for the Hybrid, I got much more power, quieter and significantly better mileage.

It was simply not a option for me to go gasser.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts