Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid "Deep Sea".
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got time to move forward on blacking out the trim on my Deep Sea Tucson Hybrid and it went really well. Links to the materials I used are below.

1- I tested 'gloss' and 'matte' over the doors first, decided I liked 'gloss' better. In the image the rear door still has the 'matte' above it, probably take me 10 minutes to swap that for gloss.

2- The larger rear piece takes some careful work to stretch and mold it to the non-flat area. It didn't work for me first time with a lower cost material (TECKWRAP) but what you see in the image above is my first try with the better 3M 1080 material. No bubbles or scratches to the gloss.

3- I believe this piece is plenty big to do all the silver trim plus rear logo and have extra for other things:

4- I used this 3M knifeless cutting tape and it worked just fine after I spent some time practicing with it. Applying this tape and getting it stuck down in the correct location is worth the time you spend doing that. I used a Leatherman to grasp the cutting string, trimmed the green carrier right at the edge of the black film, then held the end down with a finger on each side of the line and 'snapped' to start the cut, then pulled it low so the line cuts flat without trying to pull the film away.

Registered
2023 Tucson Ultimate PHEV Blue/Grey 馃
Did you take before pictures? it would be cool to see how they look at different angles before and after the install.

Thanks for sharing anyway, looks great and I think I'll probably use your advice if I ever actually get my Tucson lol

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Did you take before pictures? it would be cool to see how they look at different angles before and after the install.

Thanks for sharing anyway, looks great and I think I'll probably use your advice if I ever actually get my Tucson lol
here's a good 'before' image:

Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience
Great writeup. Thanks for sharing. Not my biggest priority, but thinking of doing something like this on my silver HEV just to add a splash of color to the exterior. I'm also going to be adding some red accents in the interior. Got to break up all that black.

Vehicle Car Wheel Sky Tire

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could have used something called plasti dip to do the silver column on the back of the vehicle. Comes in aerosol cans.
I think that using air release wrapping film is the best method for changing the appearance of trim/emblems and similar areas that are not removable. a big advantage being that it can be easily removed without leaving any marks or evidence that it was ever there. cheers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts