Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am new here so not sure if I am posting this in the right section but I just bought the Tucson about 1 week ago and it only has about 340 miles on it so far. Anytime I accelerate I hear this knocking/rattling sound around 2.8-3.8k rpms and I do not hear it when idling, starting the car, or cruising. It sounds like its coming from the dashboard on the passengers side. My friend has the same car and does not have this noise and neither did my sonata 2021.
Someone told me to wait it out and it might go away after a few hundred miles but I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this and whether or not I should go to the dealership since that takes a lot of time. Otherwise I love the car and have bo problems but I thought that was weird. I linked a YouTube video that I found online where someone has a similar noise but on an older car. I would appreciate any help or advice on this as it is still brand new and bugging me.
Thank you!
here's the tick tock link: 2017 sonata knocking/pinging on acceleration

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Mine is very quiet and does not do that.
Are you saying it is an engine knock/ping or something on the car.

First thing to check, underneath are two long plastic coverings on each side of the car. There are a few plastic nuts that tighten them and a couple of metal bolts. Many here found those loose from the factory and made a rattling sound when air first went through those plastic covers. Tighten all the plastic ones and make sure the metal bolts are tight.

Those plastic ones are really meant more to hand tighten or maybe with just a very little force tighten with a tool.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Even with headphones there's just the faintest 'thing' and for just a second. It's nowhere close to a typ. engine knock or ping, and it'll help (especially mechanics) if labelled as a 'flapping', 'flutter' or even 'clatter'. Now all that said, I recommend having someone hit the gas while you're in front with the hood open, and/or you sitting in different seats while someone else drives and replicates that accelerating.
Try to put up your own vid, - that one up there sucks.

Otherwise, the wife's now has the whopping same miles as yours 2 months since delivery, and I will get it out again to thrash it into some 'legitimately earnest break-in', and I'll see if I can replicate any noise like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even with headphones there's just the faintest 'thing' and for just a second. It's nowhere close to a typ. engine knock or ping, and it'll help (especially mechanics) if labelled as a 'flapping', 'flutter' or even 'clatter'. Now all that said, I recommend having someone hit the gas while you're in front with the hood open, and/or you sitting in different seats while someone else drives and replicates that accelerating.
Try to put up your own vid, - that one up there sucks.

Otherwise, the wife's now has the whopping same miles as yours 2 months since delivery, and I will get it out again to thrash it into some 'legitimately earnest break-in', and I'll see if I can replicate any noise like that.
Okay I'll take a video and upload it. I was not able to replicate it by just hitting the gas while in park but I'll try to have someone drive it while I sit passenger as well to see if I can localize it. What's odd is that the noise disappeared anytime I went up in rpms (more than 4k rpms), only did that 2-3 times since I didn't wanna mess with the 'break in'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts