Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what dealers are charging around the country. Are the big city’s asking more than us here in the sticks? I’m seeing more gouging on the Kia side, rather than Hyundai. ( they are a few Hyundai dealers in our area that are trying to screw customers ). So far, our dealer is strictly advertising and charging MSRP.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Los Angeles...all the dealers are charging around 10k, at least in Nov/December 2021. I know there's been slightly more supply lately, but not that much. One dealer I went to charged 10 straight up...didnt even include anything like floor mats. Another dealer was like, we only charge 5k...but you gotta by 7k in dealer add ons that they claim is on all their cars even before the pandemic. I ended up getting mine 90 minutes east of LA for only 3k over sticker and another 1.5k of dealer add ons that were actually below market value.

The Kia dealer that I visited was the shadiest dealer out of all the dealers I dealt with...they altered the window sticker which apparently you're not supposed to do since that's mandated by the government. They were charging 8k over for a base model Niro which was so terrible to drive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm in Phoenix and worst I've seen is $5K market adjustment plus $2,600 dealer addendum - walked on those dealers. I have a deposit on an incoming Silver Hybrid SEL at a dealer with no market adjustment and negotiated to $1,600 adds. Car should be in in about three weeks. Just hope they don't suddenly decide to try to add an adjustment to the printed quote they gave me and which I based my $1K deposit on. I've had two local reputable auto brokers tell me I'm not going to do better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in Phoenix and worst I've seen is $5K market adjustment plus $2,600 dealer addendum - walked on those dealers. I have a deposit on an incoming Silver Hybrid SEL at a dealer with no market adjustment and negotiated to $1,600 adds. Car should be in in about three weeks. Just hope they don't suddenly decide to try to add an adjustment to the printed quote they gave me and which I based my $1K deposit on. I've had two local reputable auto brokers tell me I'm not going to do better.
Same here for the 2.5 gasser we ordered. Little to no hope of getting a hybrid. Just too many back orders ahead of us, even from last year. So far, the dealer is only showing MSRP. Keeping my fingers crossed 🤞 that it stays that way on delivery. Should be in this week 🤞.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Los Angeles...all the dealers are charging around 10k, at least in Nov/December 2021. I know there's been slightly more supply lately, but not that much. One dealer I went to charged 10 straight up...didnt even include anything like floor mats. Another dealer was like, we only charge 5k...but you gotta by 7k in dealer add ons that they claim is on all their cars even before the pandemic. I ended up getting mine 90 minutes east of LA for only 3k over sticker and another 1.5k of dealer add ons that were actually below market value.

The Kia dealer that I visited was the shadiest dealer out of all the dealers I dealt with...they altered the window sticker which apparently you're not supposed to do since that's mandated by the government. They were charging 8k over for a base model Niro which was so terrible to drive.
[/Q
I noticed the Kia dealers around here are really sticking it to Tellarude customers. I‘ve seem markup’s as high as 8 to 10 thousand above sticker! I’ve read where Hyundai is really pissed about dealer pricing. It remains to see what, if any actions they take this year.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah...I was in the market for the Niro at one point...they showed me the EV version and I was like, OK, let me test drive it. They wouldn't even let me sit inside unless I promised to buy it. It had a mark up of god knows how much cause it cost just as much as the MSRP of an EV6/Ioniq5.

Btw my examples of gouging were for the plug in and hybrid...I've seen the mark ups on gas models go down recently. I recommended the dealer I got to someone I know and they got a gas sel for MSRP, but of course couldn't get that deal in LA County.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited
3 Posts
Curious what dealers are charging around the country. Are the big city’s asking more than us here in the sticks? I’m seeing more gouging on the Kia side, rather than Hyundai. ( they are a few Hyundai dealers in our area that are trying to screw customers ). So far, our dealer is strictly advertising and charging MSRP.
I have been researching and decided on a Tucson Hybrid. I tried every state and they were sold out. Then I think they slowly got a few in here and there and I got a quote from these guys... Is all that extra crap and the mark-up necessary?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been researching and decided on a Tucson Hybrid. I tried every state and they were sold out. Then I think they slowly got a few in here and there and I got a quote from these guys... Is all that extra crap and the mark-up necessary?
Not sure how much a ceramic coating should cost or what the hell VCG is...I assume some kind of alarm? At the end of the day, no, those things are indeed extra crap and not necessary.

The mark up is a questionable thing...I guess it depends how you feel about capitalism. I've been talking to a lot of dealerships lately dealing with inflation and supply chain issues and most of them are definitely gouging, but some of them are justified in raising their costs. The dealer I bought my car from only charged me 3K over...but that was to cover how few cars they were selling and able to sell. In normal times they'd have 200 cars on the lot and on any given weekend sell dozens of cars. When I went in January to pick up my car they only had a dozen new cars to sell.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Man, I’d walk away from that one. You’ll be so upside down on that car forever. You could get one here (if available) and fly here and save thousands

·
Registered
43 Posts
I live in Idaho, and I’ve been waiting for a 2022 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD for 2-1/2 months. Partly because I want pearl white for the outside color and they were all literally out of stock everywhere in this valley. The salesperson I talked to told me straight up they because they are in such high demand that they are charging 2,000 over MSRP and that everyone is doing it because if demand. They know they can since people want them and are willing to wait and pay the higher price. I think mine is approx 40,000 but since I don’t even have the VIN number yet I’ll have to wait to see what the price is going to be listed as. I did put 1,000 REFUNDABLE deposit since the salesman told me that was the only way I was going to get one because people were literally buying up all of the inventory while the cars were in transit to the car dealerships. It’s sad what this world has come to. Not just this, but in many ways. Although I also read an article that stated Hyundai was extremely upset with all of the dealerships that were charging such high prices over the MSRP. I forget where, but in some countries they were literally charging $8000 over MSRP. I cannot remember where this was but I’m sure that if you Google it it will come up. But with all of that said, I am extremely excited to be getting mine hopefully in the beginning of June.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid Limited
3 Posts
Man, I’d walk away from that one. You’ll be so upside down on that car forever. You could get one here (if available) and fly here and save thousands
I did walk away from them but now I am waiting on one and they have no idea where it is. I have the vin and since last week they are saying any day now...
Also I am going to have to get them to take one of the charges off (it's only like $150 but that is gas money). It looks like the car already has wheel locks added, but the dealership is adding it again and charging double. They are also adding $1400 for ResistAll and $400 for Mobile Clearshield. The adjusted Market value added is $3995.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ordered a white Hybrid right before the Ukraine invasion and another jump in gas prices. $3000 over MSRP with no negeotiations. I went with it figuring they were going to in demand for a while. Three month wait-I just picked it up two weeks ago. SW Florida. I can imagine what the wait will be now with gas setting a new record high price! Can anyone tell me where the 12v battery is located in it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I live in Idaho, and I’ve been waiting for a 2022 Hyundai Tucson Limited AWD for 2-1/2 months. Partly because I want pearl white for the outside color and they were all literally out of stock everywhere in this valley. The salesperson I talked to told me straight up they because they are in such high demand that they are charging 2,000 over MSRP and that everyone is doing it because if demand. They know they can since people want them and are willing to wait and pay the higher price. I think mine is approx 40,000 but since I don’t even have the VIN number yet I’ll have to wait to see what the price is going to be listed as. I did put 1,000 REFUNDABLE deposit since the salesman told me that was the only way I was going to get one because people were literally buying up all of the inventory while the cars were in transit to the car dealerships. It’s sad what this world has come to. Not just this, but in many ways. Although I also read an article that stated Hyundai was extremely upset with all of the dealerships that were charging such high prices over the MSRP. I forget where, but in some countries they were literally charging $8000 over MSRP. I cannot remember where this was but I’m sure that if you Google it it will come up. But with all of that said, I am extremely excited to be getting mine hopefully in the beginning of June.
Most are doing it but not all

·
Registered
33 Posts
The extras on the actual window sticker (left side) are added at the port by Hyundai and dealers supposedly have no control over that unless you go through the custom Hyundai ordering process in which case you likely won't see a car this year. What the dealers do have direct control over is their market adjustment and grossly overpriced dealer add-ons, wiht some taking it to near criminal levels.

I do understand the difficult spot dealers are in right now. They have a huge monthly nut between their lot and buildings, staff, utilities, etc., and they literally don't have any more than a handful of new cars on the lot at any give time, if they're lucky. What the dealers don't have much of is actual investment in unsold inventory, since at least 90% of the incoming cars already have deposits and are pre-sold before they even get near the dealer's lot.

We're living in a very unusual time, but it comes down to the age-old economics of supply and demand. The hybrids and full EV cars are in super high demand right now, in part due to record-breaking gas prices. Manufacturing/delivery pipelines are stymied at every turn due to supply chain shortages and disruptions. Even transport from port to dealerships is affected by a huge shortage of truck drivers. The manufacturers would love to be cranking out cars at full capacity every bit as much as dealers would love to have lots full of new cars for potential customers to test drive and buy on the spot. Unfortunately, I don't think that "normal" is going to return any time soon, if ever completely.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid SEL Convenience (wife's daily)
25 Posts
North Idaho, SEL w/convenience, gas, no mark up and no dealers added stuff. Actually $500 off msrp for veteran discount.
Same in Alexandria, VA. Out the door I was at $36k after tax, title, doc, etc.

Do not pay that price for that car. You'd be $15k underwater as soon as you signed for it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did walk away from them but now I am waiting on one and they have no idea where it is. I have the vin and since last week they are saying any day now...
Also I am going to have to get them to take one of the charges off (it's only like $150 but that is gas money). It looks like the car already has wheel locks added, but the dealership is adding it again and charging double. They are also adding $1400 for ResistAll and $400 for Mobile Clearshield. The adjusted Market value added is $3995.
Time for a new dealer. They’re hard to find, but there are places that don’t do the Market Adjustment crap. I already told one dealer he was ripping customers off, but he said that’s it’s “odd” times and he wants to keep everyone working. Well, not really my problem, is it! Thus will come back to haunt them real soon!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts