Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or others noticed as well, that as soon as car reach/passing speed limit sign - speed limit icon on the digital cluster and on the map (infotainment console) changes accordingly as to the speed limit sign shows? I have a feeling that speed limit sign is actually read by the front camera and processed by car computer system. I am saying so because I observed when it changed from what was always speed limit on this road to what was just recently put up on the part under construction - with reduced speed limit. Google map still shows the "old" speed limit. If this is an existing feature and I somehow missed it in the manual - it's still quite impressive!

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate PHEV (on order)
50 Posts
I'm looking at the PDF manual of the Canadian PHEV version of the Tucson, and it says that the intelligent speed limit assist works by detecting the speed limit signs using the front camera, and the navigation-based smart cruise control works based on GPS. So it seems that there are two ways it can do this.

The PHEV I ordered in November isn't getting built until August, so I won't be able to confirm this for quite a while.

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Works by gps. You can disable it in settings.
I am not sure I understand what you meant by saying "works by GPS".? How GPS receiver would know that speed limit sign that prior to construction started read 45mph and now reads 30 mph? And another observation I forgot to mention ( but someone may have an explanation) - when car slowly passes by the area that has orange/white construction cones - surround view cameras come on automatically and warning signal with warning sign prompts "Check your surroundings..." Cameras DO not come on when car just slowly moving in the traffic - only when road work cones are near by...And "no" - I am not drinking... ;)

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
333 Posts
Google maps displays your current speed and the speed limit. I assume the vehicle uses that same data for their displays. Aphid man is correct, the manual does say the camera uses gps and camera to do this (page 07-59).

·
Registered
2022 Tucson HEV Ultimate; White/Grey
236 Posts
I am not sure I understand what you meant by saying "works by GPS".? How GPS receiver would know that speed limit sign that prior to construction started read 45mph and now reads 30 mph? And another observation I forgot to mention ( but someone may have an explanation) - when car slowly passes by the area that has orange/white construction cones - surround view cameras come on automatically and warning signal with warning sign prompts "Check your surroundings..." Cameras DO not come on when car just slowly moving in the traffic - only when road work cones are near by...And "no" - I am not drinking... ;)
No, it doesn’t work using GPS … it does use the camera to read the speed limit signs. My 2016 BMW does the same. It’s not perfect but it’s not bad. I find temporary speed limit changes using non-standard colours or shapes can confuse it, but even so, it catches the change almost 70% of the time.

·
Registered
333 Posts
No, it doesn’t work using GPS … it does use the camera to read the speed limit signs. My 2016 BMW does the same. It’s not perfect but it’s not bad. I find temporary speed limit changes using non-standard colours or shapes can confuse it, but even so, it catches the change almost 70% of the time.
Page 07-59 in the manual.

·
Registered
2022 Plug In Limited, Silver/ Gray.
109 Posts
I noticed the speed change to the posted signs also. My RV has a camera and warning system by Mobil Eye, a major producer of the software used for the lane detect/hazard warning systems. It has a speed sign recognition capability when used with certain apps. Recognizing speed signs is certainly withing current technology.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Page 07-59 in the manual.
Perhaps we have different manuals. 🤷‍♂️
Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot Parallel

If the imputed speed limit displayed in the instrument cluster was derived from GPS, it wouldn't work when there's a temporary speed reduction due to construction, at least not without a Navigation Map update that explicitly identifies it. Since I've used the same system in my BMW since 2016, I can assure you the detected road sign is the source of the speed information.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes and it says in my manual to make sure your navigation system is updated. You can see the photo of the Tucson on the page so you know it's the right manual. If the one you are using is the online manual it would figure because i have found differences in the two.

Tire Car Wheel Motor vehicle Book

·
Registered
333 Posts
Yes and it says in my manual to make sure your navigation system is updated. You can see the photo of the Tucson on the page so you know it's the right manual. If the one you are using is the online manual it would figure because i have found differences in the two.

View attachment 434
Here is my online manual page. I think if you check the previous page of your manual it will look like this.

Screenshot Font Software Electronic device Multimedia

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks to all participants in this topic discussion! It proves that this Tucson model, no doubt, is a great car! I can only speculate that my other observation (as I mentioned above - involving road construction orange cones) might be also a result of ISLA function. Manual clearly states that "ISLA uses information from the detected road sign...to inform of the speed limit and additional information of the current road..." I could think of a car system using AI ( artificial intelligence) to analyze known objects. All construction zones I was passing by in the last few weeks - all of them started either a day or a few days before, so - no way that information can be obtained from the navigation system itself, only from the "real eye" ( front facing camera).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Here is my online manual page. I think if you check the previous page of your manual it will look like this.

View attachment 436
Yes, I have that as page 5-57, but frankly my experience using this feature makes me disbelieve that speed information is derived from navigation, as @GeneKey points out.

The manual is incorrect in many places … for example, it says the seat memory function also saves the external mirror settings with the seat position, which is clearly false.

·
Registered
333 Posts
How do you think navigation systems like google maps and Wayz gets their speed limit data? They don't go around installing cameras in every car on the planet. Why is it so hard to believe the manual when it says it uses that data in their system?

·
Registered
236 Posts
How do you think navigation systems like google maps and Wayz gets their speed limit data? They don't go around installing cameras in every car on the planet. Why is it so hard to believe the manual when it says it uses that data in their system?
I’m not saying one can’t get speed limit info from navigation data, just that the car doesn’t, unlike Waze or Google Maps. Such navigation apps often don’t represent temporary speed limit changes accurately, say in construction zones.

Are you disputing that the Tucson registers signed temporary speed limit changes?

Consider this scenario … if I pass a new speed limit sign which just happens to be visually obscured by a truck, it won’t register the speed limit change even though I have Navigation!

Reactions: GeneKey

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello: I have a 2022 Hybrid Ultimate.... I got in mid Oct 2021....preorder..... I have done a road trip through the States and the car was Amazing... from lane assit driving to perfect GPS maps to my destination. over 5,000kms.... I have tried every option and all works fine...... I hear a lot of owners complain but its been a Great SUV....... Enjoy the Sport mode best...... Canadian Mark2

·
Registered
333 Posts
I’m not saying one can’t get speed limit info from navigation data, just that the car doesn’t, unlike Waze or Google Maps. Such navigation apps often don’t represent temporary speed limit changes accurately, say in construction zones.

Are you disputing that the Tucson registers signed temporary speed limit changes?

Consider this scenario … if I pass a new speed limit sign which just happens to be visually obscured by a truck, it won’t register the speed limit change.
The manual says the car uses the camera and the navigation. If you think the manual is wrong, I won't argue with that. I have that feature disabled on my car anyway. It's just another distraction taking up space on the small dashboard display on my "Blue" hybrid. If a camera can see a sign, so can I, and like I said, I get enough info from Google maps. IMHO these features are used the least by the people that need them the most. The people that don't pay attention to speed limit signs are the people that make driving hazardous for the rest of us and aren't likely to use safety systems that will prevent them from exceeding the speed limit.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The manual says the car uses the camera and the navigation. If you think the manual is wrong, I won't argue with that. I have that feature disabled on my car anyway. It's just another distraction taking up space on the small dashboard display on my "Blue" hybrid. If a camera can see a sign, so can I, and like I said, I get enough info from Google maps. IMHO these features are used the least by the people that need them the most. The people that don't pay attention to speed limit signs are the people that make driving hazardous for the rest of us and aren't likely to use safety systems that will prevent them from exceeding the speed limit.
Wait … your Blue trim has navigation? We have different trims here in Canada but I didn’t think the USA Blue trim came with navigation.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The people that don't pay attention to speed limit signs are the people that make driving hazardous for the rest of us and aren't likely to use safety systems that will prevent them from exceeding the speed limit.
I’m glad that you always know what the speed limit is - ️. Glad too that you can disable this feature so as not to add clutter to your dash display.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts