Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read some posts on Tucson HYBRID issues.

My question for ICE owners: Is Tucson ICE somewhat underpowered? what are your experience in terms of power? What is their 0 to 60 mph number?

If ICE is fine in accelerations and highway passing, It makes sense to get an ICE instead of a hybrid, for the reliability?

· Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
814 Posts
Not underpowered. At all. Once broken in it is smooth shifting plenty of power to move quickly into traffic plenty to maintain speeds on hills etc. When new it has to break in to reach it's potential. Some of us are getting terrific mpg do some reading of posts.

· Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM compact Spare
187 Posts

My question for ICE owners: Is Tucson ICE somewhat underpowered? what are your experience in terms of power? What is their 0 to 60 mph number?

If ICE is fine in accelerations and highway passing, It makes sense to get an ICE instead of a hybrid, for the reliability?
From your other post about canceling your Hybrid delivery, Caption gave a good copy of a review in his post about the ICE tucson.
You should read it. It answers your question on its speed.
Tucson HEV issues - Should I back out of the deal?

Under powered is a relative term.

It is compared to the Hybrid, on it's own it does the job.

· Registered
25 Posts

I find it to be very underpowered. Would not buy again.

· Registered
310 Posts
It doesn't quite qualify as 'under-powered', but certainly as 'underwhelming'. But in replacing the 20yo Tribute I appreciated that with two fewer cylinders and almost 20% less displacement that this new one loses only 13hp. Where it's more unfortunate is the torque where it turns out more than 12% less oomph winding itself up trying to get out of its own way from a deadstart.
Now of course you add a whole second electric drivetrain with its instant fulltime 100% torque on top of turbocharging a little smaller version of the ICE engine, well I guess more impressive acceleration is to be expected.

So, except for weaksauce with jackrabbit starts and for folks challenged with merging onto the interstate this model more than compensates for those two Cons, considering pretty good gas mileage along with all the other pluses piled up in the Pros column.

· Registered
30 Posts
We just bought one with the standard engine. It is a dog when compared to our Kona Ultimate we had. But that car was FWD and a turbo. That's why I bought the Tuscon, no turbo or DCT to worry about. It gets up to speed just fine, remember the writers in most reviews test Hellcats and other monster HP cars. I take reliability over HP any day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts