Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Tucson Limited Hybrid in January. I was disappointed in the gas mileage. Most of my driving is highway, normally 65-75 mph. I was getting about 26-27 mpg.

I was told by Hyundai service that speed and cold weather effects mileage. I patiently waited for the weather to warm up.

Now that summer has arrived I am getting about 28-30 mpg. I ran some tests driving the same 4-hour route. One way in Eco mode and then back in Power mode. I get the lower range MPG when in Eco mode and the higher range MPG when in Power mode. I also noticed the battery charges more in power mode.

From reading, I see that official MPG ratings are on a dynameter running at 50 mph. I notice that when I drive sower I get better mpg -- but that much difference from the officially post 38 mpg to 30 mpg?? What gives?

My old car got 26 mpg so I guess I should be somewhat happy at 30 mpg but would be MUCH happier at 35-38 mpg.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
There are a gadzillion posts on this, take a look at some of the threads.
The Hybrid isn't going to get the MPG you want driving highway, certainly not at 70 and above. My ICE gets better as do many other's sometimes 42, 43 MPG and higher for stretches at a time if not going over 70. But if you drive alot of city and using the electric motor you will see better mileage of course than my ICE.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
457 Posts
If you are getting better mpg in power mode than in eco mode, something may be wrong with your car. That literally NEVER happened in 14000 miles of driving for me. The example you give of better mileage coming and going on a 4 hour route depends on the route. For example, I drive a one hour route on rural roads to my summer cottage. Going to the cottage I get 35 mpg or so traveling 40-50 mph, largely an uphill route. On the return trip, with a little effort, I can exceed 50mpg. The next time you do that route, reverse the modes coming and going and check your results. Better yet, use the same mode coming and going and compare numbers. Another tip- when in power mode, there will be times when the battery will max out it's charge. When that happens, you are wasting regenerative power because the charge has no place to go. If you switch to eco when the battery is fully charged, you will get a little better torque from the traction motor until the charge gets below 3/4.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Limited USA Market, Amazon Grey/Black With full OEM compact Spare
159 Posts
I bought the Tucson Limited Hybrid in January. I was disappointed in the gas mileage. Most of my driving is highway, normally 65-75 mph. I was getting about 26-27 mpg.

I was told by Hyundai service that speed and cold weather effects mileage. I patiently waited for the weather to warm up.

Now that summer has arrived I am getting about 28-30 mpg. I ran some tests driving the same 4-hour route. One way in Eco mode and then back in Power mode. I get the lower range MPG when in Eco mode and the higher range MPG when in Power mode. I also noticed the battery charges more in power mode.

From reading, I see that official MPG ratings are on a dynameter running at 50 mph. I notice that when I drive sower I get better mpg -- but that much difference from the officially post 38 mpg to 30 mpg?? What gives?

My old car got 26 mpg so I guess I should be somewhat happy at 30 mpg but would be MUCH happier at 35-38 mpg.

Any thoughts?
As mention there are plenty of post on this subject.

Basically the same theme claiming poor Hybrid mileage.

It really is baffling how people expe expect the estimate MPG while claiming driving 65-75 MPH and on a Highway no less.

You're getting the expected MPG range.

If your looking to meet or exceed estimated stated Hybrid MPG, highways and going over 55MPH isn't going to get you there.

Around town with a properly broken in engine with summer blend Top Tier fuel will get you over stated MPG easily.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid SEL Conv, Deep Sea Blue
14 Posts
Although there might be many factors at play and apples&apples comparison can be hard, i find it odd that you don't get over 30 mpg.
I drive in eco mode, but even with some more aggressive driving style, colder weather or inefficient routes I have never ever gone under 30.
For either commuting or interstate rides in the region (65-75mph) I'm always in the range of 32-34. I have not find away to get over that for a significant period of time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts