Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson PHEV Ultimate; White/Grey
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the folks who have received and are driving their PHEVs, trying to get an understanding of the charging times on different inputs.

120V household plug?

240V (14-50Nema) - i saw online that its under 3hrs

Level 2 charger - assuming its the same as the 240V charge point?

Any input from your experience is helpful!

·
Registered
12 Posts
All the folks who have received and are driving their PHEVs, trying to get an understanding of the charging times on different inputs.

120V household plug?

I found this graph that should help with your understanding, which lists the charge times of various vehicles at different charge rates (in kilowatts).
EV Charge Times Chart - Sun Country Highway Ltd
It doesn't have the Hyundai Tucson yet (13.8 kWh battery, with maximum acceptance rate of 7.2 kW), but the closest example is the "Porsche Panamera 4 E-Hybrid".
Level 1 is 120V, and Level 2 is 240V. However, you can see that there are many possible kW charge rates under Level 2. It really depends on how many amps are available in your circuit, and you also need to install the correct wire size in your house. Furthermore, you have to purchase a Level 2 charger that is capable of your desired charge rate. The higher the charge rate, the more expensive the car charger will be. Some will also let you set different charge rates depending on the amps available in your house.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Luxury PHEV, Amazon Gray
17 Posts
I used a public Level 2 charger from Flo. It would charge my PHEV in 2 hours at a cost of $1.50 per hour. With the 120 at home, Level 1, for a full charge takes about 10 hours. Easy for an overnight charge

·
Registered
2022 Tucson PHEV Ultimate; White/Grey
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used a public Level 2 charger from Flo. It would charge my PHEV in 2 hours at a cost of $1.50 per hour. With the 120 at home, Level 1, for a full charge takes about 10 hours. Easy for an overnight charge
10 hrs isn’t too bad at home. Will probably get a 14-50 nema socket in the garage so can do the 2 hr charging as well at some point, but doesn’t seem to be required.

thank you for the info

·
Registered
2022 Tucson HEV Ultimate; White/Grey
122 Posts

120V household plug?

I only have an HEV, but I saw a PHEV owner post that the included Hyundai 120V charging cable can only charge at max 12A, while one he bought on Amazon was able to do a full 15A, materially shortening the charging time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I only have an HEV, but I saw a PHEV owner post that the included Hyundai 120V charging cable can only charge at max 12A, while one he bought on Amazon was able to do a full 15A, materially shortening the charging time.
Only picked my limited PHEV up 3 days ago so just 2 charge cycles but full charge on Chargepoint level 2 (240V) is just under 2 hours (1:53, 1:58). Love the car!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts