Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A niggling minor issue that i have been unable to resolve --- when all doors are unlocked when I turn off, why do I need the key in proximity to the rear to open the non power liftgate? It is inconvenient when the passenger gets out and wants to open the liftgate before the driver exits with the fob, but i have not been able to find a setting change. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
453 Posts
A niggling minor issue that i have been unable to resolve --- when all doors are unlocked when I turn off, why do I need the key in proximity to the rear to open the non power liftgate? It is inconvenient when the passenger gets out and wants to open the liftgate before the driver exits with the fob, but i have not been able to find a setting change. Any thoughts?
It is because the lock is controlled only by the fob, which lets you open the rear hatch when all the other doors are locked. The latch on the hatch is electronically actuated. There should be a button on the dashboard so the driver can release the latch, but it might have cost the manufacturer another dollar or two. That way the passenger could have access to the rear of the car. There is no mechanical handle, like the entry doors have, which is really stupid because if that actuator malfunctions or the battery dies there is no way to open the hatch from the outside. I give the engineers at Hyundai a d- grade on that brilliant design.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue Trim
139 Posts
I can open my liftgate with or without the fob if the doors are unlocked.

·
Registered
2022 Ultimate HEV
211 Posts
Are you sure you're doing this right? It's probably still locked.

1) When your passenger gets out... is that from pulling the lever or are all doors actually unlocked? Did you press the unlock button / actually put the vehicle in park & turn the engine off?
2) have you tried pushing the unlock inside manually before going to the trunk?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure you're doing this right? It's probably still locked.

1) When your passenger gets out... is that from pulling the lever or are all doors actually unlocked? Did you press the unlock button / actually put the vehicle in park & turn the engine off?
2) have you tried pushing the unlock inside manually before going to the trunk?
I know that on multiple occasions after the vehicle is in the garage and turned off, with parking brake engaged, I have arrived at the rear of the vehicle to be greeted by my frustrated passenger who is unable to open the liftgate without the fob being present. But I will verify further and report back.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Preferred
70 Posts
Sanity check for myself:

Fob far away, Tucson locked - lift gate locked
Fob in pocket, Tucson locked - lift gate unlocks and opens, car doors still locked

Fob far away, Tucson unlocked - lift gate opens
Repeated with e-brake on - lift gate opens.

Sounds like you might just be instinctively locking the vehicle with the keys in your pocket. Or you have a wonky pcb somewhere.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So reporting back, the issue appears to be tied to a specific circumstance. When the vehicle is still on and the passenger exits pulling the door lever, if the vehicle is then parked and turned off, the rear liftgate remains unopenable without unlocking all or the fob in proximity. If the vehicle is stopped and turned off without the passenger departing as just described, the liftgate can be opened without fob.

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
453 Posts
I believe there are settings where you can set the unlocking of the doors for when the car is put into park rather than on shut down. That would solve the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts