Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to do this this morning with the 220504 update. I used a brand new 128GB flash drive bought for this purpose. The update files are too big for one of the many 32GB FDs I already have.

I downloaded the files using the updater tool from Hyundai and had it copy the files to the new FD. Put the new FD into the car after starting and navigated to the "Update" screen. The car refused to recognize the FD.

If the 32GB FDs are too small and the car does NOT recognize a 128GB FD....are Hyundai so specific as to require ONLY a 64GB FD?

Font Material property Number Parallel Document

·
Registered
Limited PHEV, Quartz White with grey interior
219 Posts
Well, the updater program formatted the FD and it formatted it to exFAT.

Kinda odd, no?
I just went deeper into the subforum search reasults and saw somebody who said that exFAT worked fine. Another post mentioned one update (Nav or audio) working with FAT32 and the other requiring exFAT. You might search "FAT32" on this forum and the "other" Tucson forum for people's experiences before investing more time.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just went deeper into the subforum search reasults and saw somebody who said that exFAT worked fine. Another post mentioned one update (Nav or audio) working with exFAT and the other requiring NTFS. You might search "FAT32" on this forum and the "other" Tucson forum for people's experiences before investing more time.
OK, thanks.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I assume (bad word, I know) that by logging on to my account at Hyundai and selecting 2022 Tucson Hybrid that it knows the "correct" files to download? There seems to be multiple types of head units for Tucsons?

As far as I can tell, there is only a single update which I assume again, has maps and firmware updates?

Well, this 128GB can't be formatted at FAT32...too big. Of course, it took about 2 hours of formatting to tell me that. Now, I'll try a format with DOS command to exFAT and copy the files back and try the update again. I don't hold out much hope that it will work. Maybe best left for the dealer to do?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I used a 128gb usb drive and it was also formatted to exFat and no issues with the install
Weirder and weirder. I'm formatting mine to FAT32 and we'll see what happens when I try the update again. Formatting is SLOW......

Your post makes me wonder whether Hyundai are "picky" about USB FDs? Mine was a Lexar 128GB FD...not a no name product.

As far as I can tell, my car has to use a USB FD, I don't see an SD card slot anywhere (maybe that was for "older" cars that they made? SD cards seem to be permanently mounted in the car.

·
Registered
Hybrid Limited
137 Posts
Sorry to ask such question, but I assume you did use LEFT USB port ( which is data port)?
I only asked because you said "car refused to recognize flash drive" - so, does it mean that flash drive was found ( identified as an available drive) but could not read data from it or car didn't even found flash drive?

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to ask such question, but I assume you did use LEFT USB port ( which is data port)?
I only asked because you said "car refused to recognize flash drive" - so, does it mean that flash drive was found ( identified as an available drive) but could not read data from it or car didn't even found flash drive?
Yes, I used the left USB port. The car didn't recognize the flash drive (for whatever reason). I'll have to note the exact message if it fails after being reformatted for exFAT and trying the update again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Did you copy the files yourself? I've just looked at my 64Gb drive and it has this structure:
Rectangle Font Circle Screenshot Number

That's the top level folder from a UK upgrade.

Alan

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you copy the files yourself? I've just looked at my 64Gb drive and it has this structure:
View attachment 1533

That's the top level folder from a UK upgrade.

Alan
No, the updater program did the copying to the flash drive. Maybe there is a difference between US & UK updates? Maybe there is a difference between an upgrade having maps and an update that doesn't? Was your update from the spring of 2022? What model car do you have?

I've just finished the format back to exFAT and copying the files that I saved before.

All the files here were at the root level of the FD. From what I read, it has to be that way.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got the HEV Ultimate with tech pack. That update is from June 2022. I'm not sure if it updated the maps as well - it took around 45 minutes to do.

Edit - total size is 27.5Gb - most of those are TAR files in the Navi_eu folder.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I've got the HEV Ultimate with tech pack. That update is from June 2022. I'm not sure if it updated the maps as well - it took around 45 minutes to do.

Edit - total size is 27.5Gb - most of those are TAR files in the Navi_eu folder.
Sounds like my Tucson Hybrid has a different set of update files than your HEV does OR the updater program downloaded the wrong set of files for my car OR my car doesn't like the FD that I bought (Lexar). I'm about to try it again after reformatting the FD and recopying the files. I'll update when I find out if it worked or not.

Still doesn't work. - "Insert the device that contains the update files and try again" is the message that I get on the car display.

Just wrote to Hyundai asking for advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok I started with a 120GB stick exfat. Changed it to fat32. Still would not see it with Hyundai wrong instructions.
Go to settings then general, then software update.

I clicked on bluelink in the nav and then there were a couple of options, I picked modem status and there was a update in there but I did not press it because the usb stick was already in the slot and it started the update by itself.
You do not need the car running but you can start it in the middle of the update if you want to sit in the car. My update took 50 mins to complete. I put the fob inside and went to have a beer. Hyundai said 25 mins. lol Now my wireless apple carplay works. 2022 Tucson

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Interesting. The Hyundai updater program states that exFAT is what it uses (I didn't see that until I did the DL all over again yesterday). After the initial failure of my car to even recognize the FD, I tried formatting my 128GB FD as FAT32 using MSDOS command via the CMD prompt (format g: /FS:FAT32). It took an hour or two formatting before it said the drive was too big. I then reformatted it to exFAT (format g: /FS:exFAT) and tried the update again. It, again, would NOT recognize the drive. Hence my email to Hyundai asking for advice.

BTW, my Lexar 128GB drive that I bought for this purpose is a dual adapter type drive. It has a swivel that has USBA on one end and USBC on the other end. Sounds like a good idea, no? That's what I thought. In practice in the car...it is kinda awkward to insert in the left (data) port of the Tucson (the location being kinda recessed) and starts to rotate/turn (although it did appear to seat properly) as I push it in). So, I would NOT recommend this type (swivel) of FD for this purpose.

I have a suspicion that I may not have the correct files downloaded via the updater program (a previous poster showed the files that showed from his DL and they were certainly different to mine - but he was in the UK and I'm in the US...so who knows).

The updater program, in my case, states that the firmware is "Standard-class Gen5W Navigation", "Portable Storage Device USB", "Format exFAT". That would lead me to believe that exFAT is "understood" by the car.

Now, waiting on Hyundai reply.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok I started with a 120GB stick exfat. Changed it to fat32. Still would not see it with Hyundai wrong instructions.
Go to settings then general, then software update.

I clicked on bluelink in the nav and then there were a couple of options, I picked modem status and there was a update in there but I did not press it because the usb stick was already in the slot and it started the update by itself.
You do not need the car running but you can start it in the middle of the update if you want to sit in the car. My update took 50 mins to complete. I put the fob inside and went to have a beer. Hyundai said 25 mins. lol Now my wireless apple carplay works. 2022 Tucson
I presume that your update used the car batteries to run the update? Your car is a hybrid or not? Other places that I have read state that the car has to be running. What would happen if you ran out of battery before the update finished? A "bricked" head unit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I presume that your update used the car batteries to run the update? Your car is a hybrid or not? Other places that I have read state that the car has to be running. What would happen if you ran out of battery before the update finished? A "bricked" head unit?
My car is not a hybrid. Like I stated you do not have to have the car running. You can start the car at anytime during the update if you are worried about your battery not lasting 50 minutes or just to be safe. Hyundai states this on the screen during the update that you can start your car at anytime during the update. I don't think you can move the car during the update. I'm not going to idle my car for 50 minutes.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid SEL
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the prompt reply.

So, without the car running and with a FD plugged in to the left data port...you can see the screen running for menus etc? I have NOT got past the car even accepting the FD yet :(.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts