Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am just going through all the reviews about new 2022 Hyundai Tucson. I have seen people complaining about engine and transmission issues. I am just deposited for new Hyundai Tucson but seeing these review thinking on drop off the plan to buy or go ahead. Just curious about who are buying recently / in order did they check about these issues and still going for it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
First the looks caught my attention, then multiple reviews, all good. That includes Consumer Reports. Then I test drove the gas SEL. I was thoroughly impressed, it's quiet, good seating position, rides quite well and it's loaded with features. I want the Hybrid (not plug-in) and my wife wants the Limited. The only shortcomings, no volume knob or spare tire (!!) and maybe a bit too much tech, but I think I can live with that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi, I am just going through all the reviews about new 2022 Hyundai Tucson. I have seen people complaining about engine and transmission issues. I am just deposited for new Hyundai Tucson but seeing these review thinking on drop off the plan to buy or go ahead. Just curious about who are buying recently / in order did they check about these issues and still going for it?
As has been said on this forum before, most people throughly enjoy their Tucson and rarely participate or comment in posts. So, these forums do have an unusual large number of complaints posted. I do want downplay owners will have problems. When you have a manufacturer that has built 300,000 + vehicles in May ‘22 & 1.5 million this year so far, there‘s going to be some issues. If you read through reviewers, such as Consumer Reports, they rate the 22 Tucson as one of the best SUVs on the market. These reviews come from thousands of owners over the models recent history. That says something about the Tucson!

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
349 Posts
You don't have any information on what model you are getting, the ICE has very few of the problems you mention. There are some who have had them with the Hybrid.
If you are worried enough maybe best not to get any car you feel there are too many problems for. On that note,
you should also go to a forum of what other cars you would consider and see what they are saying about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't have any information on what model you are getting, the ICE has very few of the problems you mention. There are some who have had them with the Hybrid.
If you are worried enough maybe best not to get any car you feel there are too many problems for. On that note,
you should also go to a forum of what other cars you would consider and see what they are saying about it.
ICE means? sorry I am new to this forum

·
Registered
3 Posts
In our case, my wife used to work for the owner of several dealers and one was a Hyundai dealer. We had 3 Hyundai's prior and had very good luck with them. Our original thought was a Santa Fe, so we went down "just to look"....right! We looked at one and found that the '22 was a lot larger than expected.

As there was so very few in stock (Mid March) it was suggested we look at a Tucson. Needless to say, within about an hour we had ours on ordered. A Preferred AWD unit because the wife refused the sunroof, was our choice. I had looked and found nothing but glowing reports from all the reviews we read. The fact that there were none to be found, unless you want a hybrid, was a good sign also.

We were notified today that we are #50 in line, we were told 3-4 months, and as we fist were at 287th, hope to see it in July.

·
Registered
29 Posts
First the looks caught my attention, then multiple reviews, all good. That includes Consumer Reports. Then I test drove the gas SEL. I was thoroughly impressed, it's quiet, good seating position, rides quite well and it's loaded with features. I want the Hybrid (not plug-in) and my wife wants the Limited. The only shortcomings, no volume knob or spare tire (!!) and maybe a bit too much tech, but I think I can live with that.
A 2023 sportage will solve your spare tire and volume knob issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I took my father to have his 2017 Tucson serviced. While there, I asked the salesman if they had any 2022 on the lot, as my wife and I were just beginning to look at new vehicles for her. He had 1, I looked at it and told him that I was probably 6-8 months away from purchase, appreciate your time, hand me your card and I will be in touch. Went home, started watching YouTube reviews and videos with her. Texted the salesman and told him to put a sold sign on it. We worked out financing and picked the Tuscon (Calypso Red) up 2 days later. Fast forward to 6 weeks ago. Was looking to trade my truck in as it was going to need a considerable amount of work and trade values for used vehicles are ridiculous right now. Went to same dealer, didn't have any in stock. We put my name on an Amazon Grey and the wait began. Last week, the air conditioning on my truck died. Monday found Amazon Grey/Black/SEL/Conv+Prem 2 hours away from me. Verified it was in stock, told salesman to put a sold sign on it. Drove 2 hours, completed financing while I was driving down. Gave me KBB value on my truck. We now have 2 SEL/Conv+Prem in our familiy. Now my stepdaughter thinks she is getting one as well :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our first priorities were (1) smooth and quiet ride (esp. for long highway trips), (2) able to to tow a small lightweight RV trailer, (3) good fuel economy. Plus, of course, reliability, and affordable. When we saw how highly Consumer Reports rated the 2022 Tucson—esp. the hybrid and PHEV—we investigated it. (I don't trust anecdotal reports of troubles because it takes a very large sample size, across many models of vehicles, to determine reliability.) The price was a bit more than we wanted to pay, but when we calculated the gas savings, we saw that we'd make up the extra cost in a few years (and would also make up for the carbon footprint in a few years). And so we paid to get into the queue. Sadly, we've been told we'll likely have to wait 18 months...maybe more...and that Hyundai is not making 2023 PHEVs (so we hope to get a 2024 model). It's hard to wait!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Our first priorities were (1) smooth and quiet ride (esp. for long highway trips), (2) able to to tow a small lightweight RV trailer, (3) good fuel economy. Plus, of course, reliability, and affordable. When we saw how highly Consumer Reports rated the 2022 Tucson—esp. the hybrid and PHEV—we investigated it. (I don't trust anecdotal reports of troubles because it takes a very large sample size, across many models of vehicles, to determine reliability.) The price was a bit more than we wanted to pay, but when we calculated the gas savings, we saw that we'd make up the extra cost in a few years (and would also make up for the carbon footprint in a few years). And so we paid to get into the queue. Sadly, we've been told we'll likely have to wait 18 months...maybe more...and that Hyundai is not making 2023 PHEVs (so we hope to get a 2024 model). It's hard to wait!
BTW: also appealing are the prospect of driving around on town on mainly electricity, the pano roof, and choosing our own colour (we're buying a new vehicle for the first time ever because new costs less than used). And I'm eager to implement out the tech. features.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Completely agree. Although we originally reserved a hybrid, the wait list was like the line at Top Gun-Maverick! Having gotten the 2.5, we couldn’t be happier. I’ve bought first year tech before, and have nothing but headaches. The 2.5 is a tried and true technology with Hyundai. My opinion is let them work out the glitches with the hybrid and then we’ll consider it down the road.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Completely agree. Although we originally reserved a hybrid, the wait list was like the line at Top Gun-Maverick! Having gotten the 2.5, we couldn’t be happier. I’ve bought first year tech before, and have nothing but headaches. The 2.5 is a tried and true technology with Hyundai. My opinion is let them work out the glitches with the hybrid and then we’ll consider it down the road.
+1 on everything. Plus everything posted by others. I got goaded (more like shamed) by my children that their mommie deserved a new romantic affair after 20 years with her current SUV. She'd remained in love with her Mazda (labeled by industry as 'the poor man's Lexus'), so it started off a tie between that or a Subaru. But with just a smattering of search she became smitten by the Tucson. Her driving & mileage needs already put her in the sweet spot for either the hybrid or EV, but those ended up so much unobtanium. And I was no way impressed with what I was collecting as accounts of their 'first year production' teething pains, but careful not influence her choices. End of story she decided on the gasser and tricked it out just like she wanted. It even showed 2 months sooner than the dealer's estimate.
I just wish she's drive it more. Two months and not even 500 miles on it to let me do its first oil change.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mr. -Ron, good fortune on your ride. The hybrid would have been the preferred option next after the straight gasser. And as the EV is not even marketed in my state it turned scoring one an extra dose of 'not so much'. And then all that did was to lower the hybrid even deeper into the pit of 'nope, never gonna see one in my lifetime'. So, the perfectly satisfying compromise was (and promises to be for at least the next half-decade) the plain 'ol ICE.

And for reference for others I find NHTSA does well to both offer good data and insights into car stuff, along with winnowing the worthwhile grain from the chatterbox chaff.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Tucson SEL Convenience w/Premium non-hybrid
56 Posts
Every make and model will have their issues even the luxury brands. I have mentioned this statement to many owners on this subject matter regarding reviews, likes and dislike, they are all subjective. It is how much of the issue are you willing to deal with and live with. My issue was a major thing at first but now it's a minor issue. I was pretty close on selling it to CarMax or trade it 5 months ago but a year of ownership and 14k Miles later,I really still enjoy the drive and begin to love it even more when using the cooling ventilated seat during these hot days and heated seats this past winter. The design, all the tech that is built into the car and the neat headlights which is different from other makes and models out on the road. You can tell someone is driving one of these by looking at the DRL headlights.
My many prior car purchases has always been a base car but this time I made sure I getting everything that fits my needs and my budget so I got my Calypso Red Convenience w/ Premium gasser, I almost settled for the Shimmering Silver with Conv. Package but for another 1,500 bucks on the added Premium package, I am very happy with the purchase after a year of ownership.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I rented one in Australia back in 2020 (just as lockdown started over there) and was impressed. 2 years later and I wanted a change, I wandered into the Hyundai dealer to see what they had. Signed on the line next day and picked it up 3 weeks later. I didn't read the reviews till I'd bought it. And, to be honest, if I hadn't joined these forums, I'd never have know about any issues.

·
Registered
203 Posts
+1 on everything. Plus everything posted by others. I got goaded (more like shamed) by my children that their mommie deserved a new romantic affair after 20 years with her current SUV. She'd remained in love with her Mazda (labeled by industry as 'the poor man's Lexus'), so it started off a tie between that or a Subaru. But with just a smattering of search she became smitten by the Tucson. Her driving & mileage needs already put her in the sweet spot for either the hybrid or EV, but those ended up so much unobtanium. And I was no way impressed with what I was collecting as accounts of their 'first year production' teething pains, but careful not influence her choices. End of story she decided on the gasser and tricked it out just like she wanted. It even showed 2 months sooner than the dealer's estimate.
I just wish she's drive it more. Two months and not even 500 miles on it to let me do its first oil change.
Great to hear the love affair continues. Having had the Subaru Outback, sure it’s reliable vehicle. But it seems everything has one around here. Plus , it has a new HVAC and entertainment screen that was becoming very glitchy, with frequent crashes or odd behavior. Very slow to respond and had to do simple tasks. We lucked out when we traded it for the Tucson ( got 1000 above what we paid.
With the Tucson, it’s kind of special to own. I find myself waving at passing Tucson’s ( I know, I’m a total geek🥹 ). I think we all made a great decision!

·
Registered
5 Posts
A 2023 sportage will solve your spare tire and volume knob issues.
I looked at a Sportage Hybrix SX Prestige this morning. I could not drive it (already owned), but there could be as much as a 5K savings (NO MSRP markup), and it's a 2023. Will have to give it serious consideration.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts