Hyundai Tucson Forum banner

When/what was your first impression, when did you decide to buy?

3K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Thepandamancan 
#1 ·
My first impression was this video. I watched it the week it came out (May 2021)

Ordered Mid August 2021 in Calgary
No email updates
Delivered end of Oct 2021

White on black. 22 Ultimate HEV

#3 ·
I've had a Tucson since 2012 and it was a great car... still is. As soon as I heard that a PHEV Tucson was being offered I went to the dealership. I drive a lot in the northern portion of Eastern Ontario so an all electric car was out, not enough range in an electric car, so a plug-in fit what I wanted. At the time (Jan 2020) the dealership had no information available. I put a deposit down in Feb 2020 and crossed my fingers. Turns out I had no need of worry. It's a great car.

#4 ·
I never once even heard of or considered the Tucson, even had a spreadsheet going of similar sized suvs. Just wasn't on my radar

On my way to the Honda dealer to likely purchase a CRV I thought I'd stop in and see what they had. Man, the Tucson brought a huge smile to my face! So comfortable, so quiet, the handling, the power (coming from what I was driving this felt quick)

Very happy with my purchase!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I wanted a Jeep Grand Cherokee but not the current generation--the next generation. They were late debuting it. Really late. Like 2 years late. I was very frustrated that FCA wouldn't even show what they had. I needed a new car and Hyundai had the new Tucson hybrid. It was 90% of what I wanted. It wasn't rear-wheel drive based but it had a lot of tech for the money. Styling really put me off at first but it has grown on me since. FCA finally debuted the JGC and I didn't want the PHEV anyway so I didn't miss anything. Tucson it is.

#9 ·
I was up for a new company car and i had 4 Skoda Octavia's of the same make and models so ot was time for something else for me. I had my heart set on a Peugeot 3008, but due to changes in trimlevels i suddenly couldn't get the gadgets and options i wanted anymore.
So with limited time i had to find something else, never thought about the Tucson as i don't like the look of the standard black limited that's advertised everywhere (sorry lol).
I visited avery brand dealer and still didn't find something i wanted and just wandered into a Hyundai dealership where they had a white N-line in the showroom.
Love at first sight, did some homework and the only option it doesn't have that i wanted was memory seats, but other than that it had all the options and gadgets, it has the interior room i need and that N-line in white with a black top half just looks gorgeous so i ordered it the next day.
Delivery is set to be in 4 weeks.

#11 · (Edited)
My first impression was this video. I watched it the week it came out (May 2021)
[snip]

Ordered Mid August 2021 in Calgary
No email updates
Delivered end of Oct 2021

White on black. 22 Ultimate HEV
My first impression was the Motormouth video around the same timeframe. I also watch Straight Pipes (& Throttle House) but I've been following Zack Spencer since his early days with Driving Television (back when Dagmar was there)!

Our 2012 BMW X1 was declared "salvage" after I hit someone with no functioning brake lights when traffic slowed unexpectedly during a torrential downpour on I-95, May 7, 2020 (luckily, no injuries and I was assessed NOT at fault based on dashcam video). This is what compelled us to go looking for another compact SUV. We wanted more cargo space and more safety features than the then current 2021 X1 ... especially Rear Cross-Traffic alert and Surround-View Camera. I went looking for a RAV4 Prime and was literally laughed at by the Toyota dealer, citing wait times up to 2 years. I really wanted a Tucson PHEV but at that time, it was too open-ended with NO word on either pricing or delivery!

Ordered May 26, 2021 in Ottawa
Pushing on a rope, trying to get updates from the dealer for months
Delivered Aug 20, 2021

#14 ·
My first impression was the Motormouth video around the same timeframe. I also watch Straight Pipes but I've been following Zack Spencer since his early days with Driving Television (back when Dagmar was there)!
Yes I also remember that TV show with him and the red-head but you have me beat to remember her name.

Also based on this thread... looks like lots of people just blindly walk into a dealership asking about their current offerings, whereas I had already studied so much I could sell this car's features better than most salesmen.

#15 · (Edited)
My diesel Cruze was 7 years old and I thought it was time to replace it before reliability started to become an issue. Although the Cruze's highway fuel economy was amazing (5L/100km, 1100 km range on one tank) it was a sedan and hauling things was a pain. So a crossover was the logical successor.

I had had two used Santa Fes in the past and my experience with them was mostly good, so I originally looked into the 2022 Santa Fe. But in Canada, for some reason, dedicated navigation is not available on the Santa Fe. (I loathe CarPlay-based navigation; maps with no scale on them!) So I looked at the Tucson instead, which had navigation available.

My short list also included the Mazda CX-5 and Subaru Outback. Both of those are very nice. CX-5 got ruled out because its infotainment system was very 2014-looking (although it also had a head-up display, which the Tucson does not), and because of its relatively small cargo space. Subaru was also impressive but its adaptive cruise control is optically-based, not radar-based, and it seemed to me that it might be less effective in certain weather conditions.

I like the technology on the Tucson, the acceleration, the interior room, the cargo room, and it looks pretty sharp. Not crazy about the push-button gear shifter or the lack of knobs for volume and climate, but I can live with that.

I ordered the Ultimate PHEV version rather than the HEV version because I like to drive something that is a bit unusual (like the diesel Cruze). If I had known that the wait for delivery of the PHEV was going to be so many months longer than that of the HEV, I probably would have ordered the HEV instead, but here we are.

In the meantime, my Cruze suffered catastrophic power train failure and has been scrapped, so I have to find something used to see me through until the Tucson is delivered (probably October). So much for my plan to replace the Cruze before something went wrong with it.

I too found the Motormouth video review to be helpful, as well as the Consumer Reports review.

#16 ·
I can relate to so many posts above. A new car wasn't even on my radar until I helped a friend sell a car and was surprised at what a dealer or Carmax will pay for one now. So... reset the clock/miles with something new for a relatively minor penalty of MSRP to replace now instead of 2-3 years down the line? Okay, I'm in.

I was prioritizing and expecting a Honda, but I wanted to look around at other options, just to see what's out there. IMO the Tucson is a stunner, inside and out. Per each level of trim you get more than Honda, in a quieter, more luxurious, and better looking car.

If I had to say ONE thing... the headlights/grill probably got me. That was my own love-at-first-sight feature.

Driving it sealed the deal. It's quiet, comfortable, beautiful to look at on the inside as well... and the radio is more than acceptably decent. (which is one area where Honda is especially lacking in both sound and usability).

#17 ·
I was actually gonna buy a new 2022 Hyundai Venue since I could trade in my 2016 HRV for around 20k and basically buy the Venue outright. While watching some YouTube reviews for the Venue, the CarGurus review of the Tucson auto played and I realized it had everything I really wanted out of a car. Ended up paying a lot more than the Venue for the PHEV Limited, but I think it's totally worth it in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.