Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 21 year old GMC Jimmy, and it has a spring operated tilt steering wheel, very easy and comfortable to use. My 2022 Hyundai Tucson does not, it still relies on a lever you must pull down to set, and pull up to lock in place. It just seems so out of place on today's vehicles. Gosh, how much would putting a spring-loaded tilt adjustment steering wheel in these cars cost? The loss of aggravation for the few dollars extra, I would gladly pay.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL FWD Amazon Grey Convenience/Premium/Cargo Pkgs
643 Posts
Never had a car different than simple lever though some cars have electric too. Sometimes simple is better less to go wrong. Less to pay for as you add up all these things.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't imagine that a simple spring-loaded tilt could be that expensive, offseting the cost of the manual yank down and pull up mechanism. If my 21 year old Jimmy has it, there is no reason not to have that convenience on a brand new model. I can understand why an electric powered device would be more expensive, but a spring? Nah...

·
Registered
227 Posts
My '96 Fleetwood has a spring-poaded wheel adjuster. Sure it's nice, but the prev. owner apparently manhandled it to the extent it'll disengage and move a notch if I put the right amount of tension on it if/when using it as a brace. So I just don't do that no more.
So, likely now a design safety requirement for stouter latching.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Limited PHEV Amazon Gray / Black. 2022 Tucson SEL PHEV Shimmering Silver / Gray
182 Posts
I have a 21 year old GMC Jimmy, and it has a spring operated tilt steering wheel, very easy and comfortable to use. My 2022 Hyundai Tucson does not, it still relies on a lever you must pull down to set, and pull up to lock in place. It just seems so out of place on today's vehicles. Gosh, how much would putting a spring-loaded tilt adjustment steering wheel in these cars cost? The loss of aggravation for the few dollars extra, I would gladly pay.
I am happy with the adjuster as it is. I adjust once and never touch it again threw out my driving. I remember when there was no adjuster and that I did not like as being a short person.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My '96 Fleetwood has a spring-poaded wheel adjuster. Sure it's nice, but the prev. owner apparently manhandled it to the extent it'll disengage and move a notch if I put the right amount of tension on it if/when using it as a brace. So I just don't do that no more.
So, likely now a design safety requirement for stouter latching.
Cheaper.

·
Registered
93 Posts
How do you activate the spring to lower wheel ?

·
Registered
2022 Ultimate HEV
214 Posts
GM's have had spring-up since the 1995 my dad had...

Wait til you hear about power adjust steering wheel with memory!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do you activate the spring to lower wheel ?
Steve, with a small lever on the left side of the steering column, holding the steering wheel in your right hand, you reach down with your left hand and pull back on the spring-loaded lever to adjust it up or down, simple, works. If you can imagine by holding the lever the steering wheel is able to be moved up and down to the spot you want it set, let go of the lever, the steering wheel is locked in place there.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Steve, with a small lever on the left side of the steering column, holding the steering wheel in your right hand, you reach down with your left hand and pull back on the spring-loaded lever to adjust it up or down, simple, works. If you can imagine by holding the lever the steering wheel is able to be moved up and down to the spot you want it set, let go of the lever, the steering wheel is locked in place there.
I just don’t understand why spring loaded is better that what we have since you still have to use the lever to adjust it

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Then you'll have to take my word for it, it's much simpler, easier, without the pulling down, pulling up, making sure it's locked in place, believe me, the spring-loaded mechanism is much quicker and easier to use.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I just don’t understand why spring loaded is better that what we have since you still have to use the lever to adjust it
Spring-loaded is 'better' only in that for big pants folks who find it convenient to flip it out of the way every time exiting, the 'spring' tops it out automatically by just the lever hand and no added involvement by the other (i.e. right) hand is required.

ALSO, said same steering wheel therefore remains pegged automatically in its highest position to provide same said big pants driver the maximum room upon their next entry.

Otherwise, I've never been in a car with an electric adjusting wheel. Then again, just about every luxo-barge sedan and wagon in the '60's/'70's with a tilt wheel were actually T&T option (Tilt & Telescoping). Probably a giant non-no with the onset of airbags.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spring-loaded is 'better' only in that for big pants folks who find it convenient to flip it out of the way every time exiting, the 'spring' tops it out automatically by just the lever hand and no added involvement by the other (i.e. right) hand is required.

ALSO, said same steering wheel therefore remains pegged automatically in its highest position to provide same said big pants driver the maximum room upon their next entry.

Otherwise, I've never been in a car with an electric adjusting wheel. Then again, just about every luxo-barge sedan and wagon in the '60's/'70's with a tilt wheel were actually T&T option (Tilt & Telescoping). Probably a giant non-no with the onset of airbags.
I drove my 2001 gmc jimmy this afternoon to the grocery store, used the spring loaded wheel, LOVE IT!

·
Registered
2022Tucson "Blue" Titanium White/ Black
457 Posts
Don't forget that the wheel telescopes as well as tilts and uses a single locking mechanism. How does the GM tilt/ telescope column accomplish this? They use a spring loaded lever for tilt, and a separate lever similar to Hyundai's for the telescopic function. IMHO, Hyundai is the winner here.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Try it, you'll like it.
Yah, it's the wife's and she's taken it out so seldom I end up showing her stuff from just reading the monster owner manual in the morning over coffee. I automatically checked and found the tilt to show her the first time I got in, but never tried for telescoping. I'm waiting more for some snow and ice to play with the drive selector and traction control.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts