Hyundai Tucson Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having problems with windshields cracking. Mine got hit by a stone and cracked. Insurance covered it but still cost us $500. Waited 3 weeks for it. Drove the car 3 weeks and went out yesterday to see a new Crack. They tell me glass is thinner and this is a stress Crack.
Automotive tire Hood Bicycle tire Road surface Motor vehicle
o

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had Hyundai OEM windshields replaced in the past and this is what I learned.

It's all about the installation.

Most third parties will not prep right and not use the proper sealant, including Safelite.

Hyundai has a very specific detailed procedured.

The windshield is a structural component.

The sealant used must be heated to a specific temperature and applied with a powered applicator gun.

Many will use silicone sealant and heat it, but it's not the proper polyurethane sealant.

Not Autozone windshield sealant.

Bonding can only work if the glass amd frame is prepped with proper solvent.

Problem is not the OEM glass defect, it's the application of the bead. To thin the windshield and frame will flex and cause a fault in the glass.

I suspect wrong application, wrong prep, and/or wrong temperature with wrong sealant.

Even the few dealers who will do it, find it close to impossible to meet factory controlled environment of proper installation and prep.

Reactions: Mihirakula

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Hybrid Blue Trim
110 Posts
I see by the shadow on your dash that you've got the acoustic glass windshield. Your car is a hybrid and you got the factory glass replaced for $500? I expected it to cost much more and I'm kinda relieved that you got OEM acoustic glass for $500. To answer your question: yes. I think the glass does chip easily.

edit: I reread your post and I see your insurance paid the claim and it cost you another $500. How much was the windshield total?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got a quote for mine. It’s about 1600 bucks. Hyandai claims all the sensors and cameras must be calibrated. Glass it’s self is about 875 the rest is the adhesive and calibration

·
Registered
2022 Tucson Ultimate PHEV Deep Sea Blue
104 Posts
Mine is about the same for a 22 Tucson Ultimate PHEV. They do not have any aftermarket windshields so the shop and/or dealer (I went to both) has to get them from Hyundai. Apparently there are 25 on back order with Hyundai Canada. I am on a list to try to get one installed by the end of April 22 as that is the estimate of when Hyundai Canada will have the back in stock. I do think they use thinner/cheaper glass as I have never had so many rock chips and now this major crack on any other vehilce I have owned. Maybe just a bad batch of them for the first PHEV's shipped.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Local dealer said they don’t do windshields and sent Me too a glass place. Glass place said it had to be ordered from Hyundai. Dealer said they can calibrate everything but won’t replace the glass. If they glass is the same I don’t see why so much needs to be calibrated. Most of the sensors appear to be in the glass above the windshield before the sunroof

1 - 12 of 12 Posts